Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Leaking Regulator?

I am getting a strong gas odor. I think it is coming from my regulator. It goes away when I close the tanks and then comes back. Get the regulator go bad and "leak"? It does take some abuse changing tanks.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Of course. Likely candidates are: fittings and hoses or an internal problem that is letting gas out of the vent. Check for leaks with soapy water. If it is coming out of the vent, then replace the regulator.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I agree with soapy water. If its bad, Replace it. They arent that expensive.

I always hear about can they be rebuilt? Why
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I took ours to a local rural Gas Company. I replaced Everything on both tanks, hoses, regulators, (which included the knob you turn to switch from one tank to the other and topped them off with gas all for around a hundred bucks! I would suggest you check with gas companies in the smaller towns in your area for the best deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
I am getting a strong gas odor. I think it is coming from my regulator. It goes away when I close the tanks and then comes back. Get the regulator go bad and "leak"? It does take some abuse changing tanks.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
first thing I would check

Quote:
I am getting a strong gas odor. .

Are the tanks full? Or at least not empty.

That will cause a leak, which will smell. The leak will come from the tank because there is not enough presure from the inside. Once full, it will go away.

Dan
Old 09-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
As for the regulators being rebuildable, some are, sort of, but are usually more trouble to rebuild than it is worth. It's much better just to replace, especially if you are going to use the trailer, rather then creating a museum exhibit.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Could just as easily be the hoses..

I replaced the regulator after our original 1988 model wouldn't switch any more.. Took everything apart, including hoses, etc, but was dumb (unwise?) enough to re-use the hoses.. Smelled propane after repair, and tried soapy water trick all around regulator with no success.. Local shop found wear cracks in hoses from unbending and rebending during installation, after a lot of rubbing insude metal tank cover..

Live and learn...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4odm View Post
Are the tanks full? Or at least not empty.

That will cause a leak, which will smell. The leak will come from the tank because there is not enough presure from the inside. Once full, it will go away.

Dan

One 1/4 full and one empty. Went camping and did the soap thing. One small maybe leak. Filled the empty tank and no more smell. Comes from the tank where, the valve?
Old 09-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
One 1/4 full and one empty. Went camping and did the soap thing. One small maybe leak. Filled the empty tank and no more smell. Comes from the tank where, the valve?
The pressure of the "full" tank holds the valve open. When the pressure drops, it allows the valve to open to the other side, but also can allow a small amount of LP to leak past. Hence, the smell.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Ok, I'll watch for the low tank smell.

I also get venting from the full tank from the five sides female fitting. I think this is from tha full tank in the sun and expansion. It this 5 sized fitting something that is normally tighten. The place that first filled the tank was marginal.