Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2004, 09:27 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
drivo - Thanks for posting the thumbnails.

This device is still a mystery to me.

Does anyone else understand what this device is supposed to be doing/how it works? I would really like to know.

Thanks,
Tom
I had one of those on my SOB. The bottom of the unit contains a site glass with an oil type substance. You start with an unpressurized trailer. You push a button on the top of the tester and hold it down. Then with your other hand you turn on a gas bottle. As the gas pressurizes the system you see lots of bubbles in the site glass. Once the system is pressurized the bubbles should stop. If you see any bubbles as you continue to depress the button, you have a leak in the system. No bubbles you release the button and the test is over. I found it very easy to use and normally went through this test every time I pressurized the system.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for your reply. Sooo, do i have to use glycol as the fluid or can I use a commercially available leak detector fluid that I can pick up at the hardware store?

Thanks for your time

Ivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I had one of those on my SOB. The bottom of the unit contains a site glass with an oil type substance. You start with an unpressurized trailer. You push a button on the top of the tester and hold it down. Then with your other hand you turn on a gas bottle. As the gas pressurizes the system you see lots of bubbles in the site glass. Once the system is pressurized the bubbles should stop. If you see any bubbles as you continue to depress the button, you have a leak in the system. No bubbles you release the button and the test is over. I found it very easy to use and normally went through this test every time I pressurized the system.

Jack

...The World is your Mollusk....
drivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I wouldn't use any leak detector fluid, unless it is specifically made for a 'bubble' leak detector. Or if the instructions say what type of glycol (propylene? ethylene?) to use.

If it is an Alde type leak detector, you can send an inquiry to: info@alde.co.uk

Their part number is 4070-125. Ask if they have a US distributor, or what type of glycol to use.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 04:11 PM   #24

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivo
Thanks for your reply. Sooo, do i have to use glycol as the fluid or can I use a commercially available leak detector fluid that I can pick up at the hardware store?

Thanks for your time

Ivo
If the detector is dry, I probably would replace it with a new one. I don't know if there are any user serviceable components on it anyway. What ever was in mine, it seemed to be some kind of thick clear fluid. Whether it was glycol or not I'm not sure. My concern is that if it is dry, it probably malfunctioned and refilling whatever liquid was in it may not fix the problem. I certainly would not want to contaminate the gas system with whatever is in the detector.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 11-07-2004, 05:22 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

So I guess the next question is:

Do I really need this thing? The trailer works fine and I haven't had any problems, and it obvoiusly isn't working...

Thanks

Ivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I wouldn't use any leak detector fluid, unless it is specifically made for a 'bubble' leak detector. Or if the instructions say what type of glycol (propylene? ethylene?) to use.

If it is an Alde type leak detector, you can send an inquiry to: info@alde.co.uk

Their part number is 4070-125. Ask if they have a US distributor, or what type of glycol to use.

...The World is your Mollusk....
drivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:07 PM   #26

Fenton , Missouri
Do you need it? No. But these are really good items to have since most folks don't have access to all the gas fittings to be able to do a leak test.

There is another method to do a leak test. If the gas is on light a burner on the stove to make sure the system has no air in it. Extinguish the burner and then turn off the gas at the tank. Wait 15-30 minutes. Go back to the burner that you had lit earlier and light it again (do not turn on the gas bottle). If the burner lights and burns for a short period of time, you have no leaks. If the burner does not light, you most likely have a leak in the system.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15