Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #21
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Lumatic. That is pretty common practice around here where most places fill them by weight. I have found places that fill them by volume and I look for them when I can. Yes it's a ripoff but they got you by the you-know-whats and they are driving the bus. I give them a shake when taking them off just to be sure.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Allow me to jump in here with a bit of clarification. Most generally, there is a difference between filling practices (safety) and billing practices (money).

Filling Practices

The National First Protection Association bible for propane handling in the USA (NFPA 58) specifies either of two safe filling practices:

1. Fill by weight. Using the TW and WC figures stamped into the collar of the cylinder at manufacture, set the scale for the full weight and fill to that point.

2. Fill by volume. Open the small screw valve on the side of the OPD and fill until propane spews out.

Either method is a safe way of filling, but some states -- this is a state-regulated matter -- prefer one over another. Here in NM, for instance, they recommend filling by weight unless volume filling is required. (The reasoning is environmental, not safety related.)

Adding in here, note that filling by the gallon is not permitted. This is so because the notion of "gallon" is a variable one that depends on ambient pressure and temperature.

Similarly, filling a cylinder until the built-in OPD valve stops the flow is also not permitted. This is so because OPD valves are known to fail. After they are installed at manufacture, they are never inspected (for obvious reasons), and are therefore suspect as a standard filling practice.

Billing Practices

Billing has nothing to do with safety and is not addressed by NFPA 58 at all; states, villages, cities, or just fillers are free to make up their own rules. A few notes here:

1. Most charge (but not fill) by the gallon, I suspect. (That's what we do here.)

2. Others may charge by the pound if they wish.

3. Most critically for consumers is whether fillers charge a flat rate for cylinders or they just base their charges on amount of propane dispensed (either gallon or pound). Most often, your best deal is when fillers base charges on amount of propane dispensed, kind of like at a gas station.

Lynn
Old 09-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
For CostCo, it's purely flat rate.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I guess CostCo is one of those trade-in places for 20-pound cylinders? (Nearest CostCo in these parts is about 160 miles away ...)

I send customers with 20-pound cylinders that are out of date/damaged to one of those trade-in places. However, I also explain some provisos:

1. Trade-in places generally don't do 30-pound or larger cylinders at all.

2. The 20-pound cylinders at those places are generally not filled to 20 pounds, but rather only to 15 pounds. (Makes for mighty expensive propane.) Check the "net weight" marking on the plastic external sleeve that most of those trade-in cylinders come with.

3. Those trade-in cylinders are not different from any other 20-pound cylinder and can be refilled subsequently by any filler. In other words, you're not required to continue trading in once you get started on this route.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
For CostCo, it's purely flat rate.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I guess CostCo is one of those trade-in places for 20-pound cylinders? (Nearest CostCo in these parts is about 160 miles away ...)
Yes, that's true. Although, they also don't have an exchange program for 30 lb aluminum tanks
Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you have older, 20 pound tanks that can't be filled because they need to be modified (OPD) or reinspected, you can exchange them for updated, full tanks at WalMart. There is no extra charge, and Blue Rhino updates the tanks for the next user as part of the refilling process.

Also, the Costco where we shop in Phoenix (north side near I-17 & Yorkshire) sells propane by the gallon; and there is no minimum charge (i.e., they charge for only how much they dispense). This Costco gets a lot of business from hot air balloons, which use a lot of propane.

This is how we check to see if our propane tanks need to be refilled:

Berkley Scale with Tape: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com

At the beginning of each season, I weigh the tank currently in use to see how much propane remains. This scale probably isn't terribly accurate, but it's close enough to see if the tank is almost empty.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
THe Blue Rhino tanks are not aluminum.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I am running with the two 20 # tanks. I understand the automatic switching over from one tank to the other depends whether that option was installed on the trailer when it was first purchased. I bought mine used and don't think I have that.

I now only use the exchangeable tanks since they are accessible at many stores due to them being used for the typical backyard BBQ grills. Places to refill tanks aren't that easy to find plus the time required to do so is usually Long. Is the cost savings to do the refill really worth the effort?
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There will be a moveable pointer or other device on the regulator if it is an automatic change over one. Most two tank systems have the automatic change feature. You will see a window with a red or green indicator as well as a pointer or other movable lever if you have one.

BBQ tanks that you buy pre filled are convenient, but pretty expensive in terms of dollars per gal of propane. Not only that, but they generally (or very often) are short filled to only 4 gal rather than the 5 they actually hold, making the gas even more costly.

But I understand the convenience, especially if you don't use much propane. Only you can decide if the convenience trumps the cost.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Also can pour water over tank it will frost at level line.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Look at the collar and you will find the Tare Weight (TW). This is the empty tank weight. Somewhere around 18# for a steel tank. A 20# propane tank when full will weigh 20# above the Tare Weight.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
I use a luggage scale with a memory pointer feature. The memory pointer records the maximum weight encountered so I don't have to struggle with lifting and reading the scale at the same time.

The tare weight for my stock 30# cylinders is 26 lbs, so I prepared the following table which I laminated and is attached to each of my tanks:

Full - 56 lb
3/4 - 48 lb
2/3 - 46 lb
1/2 - 41 lb
1/3 - 36 lb
1/4 - 33 lb
Empty - 26 lb

Obviously, there is more work to this solution, as one has to remove the tank covers and the hoses to get a true weight.

I do this before my trip starts to get a baseline for where I am and periodically re-weigh during longer trips to determine a pattern and anticipate when there is a need to switch over and/or refill.

I realize that not everyone is willing or able to lift almost 60 lbs to utilize this method. My Weber grill at home has a simple usage indicator built into it where one hangs the tank from a built in scale with indicators at 0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full. Would love to incorporate something like that but would have to secure the tanks somehow for travel, something my Weber grill does not have to contend with.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote