Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Kit to use Trailer Propane for lantern/grill

Can anybody point me to a kit / part that would allow me to put attache a LP hose to my trailer propane hookup that I could then use to power an outside lantern or grill? I don't want to pack additional propane tanks.

Much thanks!
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I dont know about a special kit, but I did modify my system to accomodate a gas grill. I removed the elbow where the gas line headed back from the tanks to the coach and replaced it with a tee and a gas valve. When not in use the valve is "off" and a cap installed on the output. To use it I remove the cap and attach a hose with a matching fitting. Remember that the gas is already regulated so you don't need a regulator at your BBQ.

My feeling is that a kit for something simple and straight forward like this would fall into the category of instructions (with pictures) for using a pencil sharpener.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I did a similar thing. I attached a hose with a quick connect and a shut off just past the regulator. I store the hose in the tank cover.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Got a picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
I did a similar thing. I attached a hose with a quick connect and a shut off just past the regulator. I store the hose in the tank cover.
Thanks for the quick reply - do either of you have a picture of it - will run to Camping world and pick up.
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Can't give you a photo (the Troutstream is stored for the winter) but I got most of my parts from the hardware store.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigv
Thanks for the quick reply - do either of you have a picture of it - will run to Camping world and pick up.
IIRC, they call it an extendastay, and it retails for about $75. Of course, they may not be talking about what we are talking about. Also they are closed today and tomorrow, at least here.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Camping World had a lot of confusing variations. It was at our local farm fleet store that I found a 'T' to fit at the top of the tank that would allow me to keep the tank hooked up to the trailer and had a side outlet for my Roadtrip grill. I didn't have to have that tank selected for house gas -- I could turn on the tank and it would supply the 25' (?) hose I bought to run to the grill. A significant amount of liquified propane stays resident in the hose -- this setup will give you a bit more odor up in the tank area but I'm getting no soap bubbles. Brass LP fittings are tight like they are and don't use teflon tape ... right everybody?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Speaking of that.... Merry Christmas!!!
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Stay Flow at Camping world comes with a 12 foot hose and the adapter T.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Tee AFTER the reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Camping World had a lot of confusing variations. It was at our local farm fleet store that I found a 'T' to fit at the top of the tank that would allow me to keep the tank hooked up to the trailer and had a side outlet for my Roadtrip grill. I didn't have to have that tank selected for house gas -- I could turn on the tank and it would supply the 25' (?) hose I bought to run to the grill. A significant amount of liquified propane stays resident in the hose -- this setup will give you a bit more odor up in the tank area but I'm getting no soap bubbles. Brass LP fittings are tight like they are and don't use teflon tape ... right everybody?
The safest tee would be one inserted AFTER the Airstream's regulator. That way there would be no LIQUID propane - Only gaseous.

While any form of propane should be handled safely, the LIQUID form has a whole lot more energy than the gaseous form.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
A significant amount of liquified propane stays resident in the hose
Gas (not liquid) stays in the hose in my set up and I did it that way intentionally. It takes a long time to purge the air out of a twelve foot hose each time you want to use it. Maybe that's not so bad on a grill, but I don't want to be yanking on the generator all that time.