Old 12-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
If you can define the correct end fittings and length I am sure you can order a line over the web. I have used Aeroquip hoses for fuel on classic cars. They may make propane rated hoses some one dose. Stainless Steel braided would be what you want and the peace of mind would serve you well.
The Aeroquip fittings are "AN" fittings which use a 37deg flare and the "SAE" flare is 45deg. Propane plumbing flare fittings are "SAE" 45deg. The use of flexible tubing for propane can be done, but you must make sure it is rated for RV use.
The double flare is used sometimes but is not mandatory for safe propane connections.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by modarch View Post
Not to hijack- but what grade copper is required for propane? What symbols or text would be on the pipe at the local home improvement centers?
From what I can find is you can use Grade L which will be stamped. You can also use ACR grade tubing which is color coded "Blue" or Grade K as last choice.
Recommendation: Fuel Oil, L.P. and Natural Gas Services—Use Type L or Type ACR tube with flared joints in accessible locations and brazed joints made using AWS A5.8 BAg series brazing filler metals in concealed locations.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
I went to my local bulk Propane supplier that installs the big propane tanks for home use. They can supply you with the correctly rated fittings and copper tubing. They had a type of 1/2 copper that was vinyl covered and they made the line up with fittings and flared it for me. You just have to give them the length masurement. Make it long enough to have a nice long curve on the turns to take uo vibration. A home heating and air business can also make up lines for you. On my unit I lifted the stove top and the connection was in the left front just under the stove top and was easy to get to.
The heavy copper tubing that propane takes is very thick and it takes a lot of muscle to get a good flare.
Mainstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband View Post
The Aeroquip fittings are "AN" fittings which use a 37deg flare and the "SAE" flare is 45deg. Propane plumbing flare fittings are "SAE" 45deg. The use of flexible tubing for propane can be done, but you must make sure it is rated for RV use.
The double flare is used sometimes but is not mandatory for safe propane connections.
Thanks Gary, I have used the Aeroquip on British Sports Cars and have had great service. Your points are well taken.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote