Old 04-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Is there a difference in tools?

Is there a difference in flairing tools for propane vs. Automotive? My husbands got tool that he uses to flair automotive brake lines. But looking at the old line from the AS the flair appears to be bigger. There is less crimp on the AS lines.

bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I think are the same except propane requires a double flair which is 45 degrees. AN aircraft and some high pressure hyd. fitting are 37 degrees.

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Las Vegas , Nevada
there is a difference in tools for flaring copper vs. steel lines.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I think are the same except propane requires a double flair which is 45 degrees. AN aircraft and some high pressure hyd. fitting are 37 degrees.
Are you sure about that? Not saying it is wrong, but I have both single flaring and double flaring tools, but I have only ever used my double flaring tool for automotive brake pipes. (used to restore sports cxars as a hobby!)

I was of the understanding that the double flare is needed to give added strength to the flared portion of the pipe when in use for high pressure applications - such as brake lines.

By contrast, the pressure in our AS propane lines after the regulator is extremely low - nominally 11" water column I believe, which I think translates to less than a half a psi - virtually no pressure at all.

Would be interested to know if I am wrong here, it sure wouldn't be the first time!

I'd like to know for sure which flare is needed, because I just found the main 5/8" O.D gas line under our Airstream is squished almost flat, and I have just bought new tubing to replace the line!

Cheers ....... Brian
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2000 31' Land Yacht
The double flare is required on steel to prevent spliting. Single is OK on copper, but I double flare copper also for increased reliability.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1972 31' Excella 500
Lagrange , Kentucky
The auto flaring kit will/is the same for copper to brass fittings. The latter however does not require the double flare. If trying to flair old copper lines it is best to (anneal) heat and air cool the copper, as it hardens with age.

When inserting the line into the flaring blocking, allow the tubing to extend out the thickness of a nickel for the right depth.

good luck

grtwhthuntr is offline   Reply With Quote