Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #99
Chief Chili Cook
 
newroswell's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
There was a picture posted on this site a while back of a camper that had been in an accident that damaged the water heater, and for whatever reason the excess flow valve in the propane regulator had failed, so it was dumping propane all over until they got the tank turned off. No explosion or anything like that. The odds are very slim, but it's not impossible - it's the same reason we use chains in addition to coupler locks, right? Risk managers would say it's a very low probability, but potentially high impact risk. So, if we don't need to keep the fridge running, we don't, and we shut off the propane.
That would be me. We were in a pretty bad accident and the water heater was bashed in and propane was flowing out of the smashed internals. Traffic wasn't able to move and dozens of people were standing around. People smoking, cars, trucks running, etc. Due to other damage, all down the side of the moho, I had a very hard time getting to the tank valve to shut it off. I was having to deal with all this seconds after a violent crash with minor injuries.

That all being said, we still run the fridge while driving.

__________________

__________________
The NSA -- The only part of the government that listens.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #100
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Andy, you missed my sarcasm....

I am a pro fridge and drive person.

After a few comments telling me I was just ignorant and/or " uninformed", sarcasm seemed appropriate...

Oops.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #101
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
I think people who shut off accept that it's very low probability and when they hear people say "there ain't a person on this thread or anyone I can find who has had a problem" - those folks often will then cite the limitations of anecdotal evidence - rightly so - and that ruffles feathers obviously

But is it not just as much feather ruffling to dismiss those who shut off as hypocritical, logically inconsistent etc

Tit for tat I say
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #102
Rivet Master
 
MrUKToad's Avatar

 
2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,372
Images: 17
Blog Entries: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I think people who shut off accept that it's very low probability and when they hear people say "there ain't a person on this thread or anyone I can find who has had a problem" - those folks often will then cite the limitations of anecdotal evidence - rightly so - and that ruffles feathers obviously

But is it not just as much feather ruffling to dismiss those who shut off as hypocritical, logically inconsistent etc

Tit for tat I say
We do get a bit adversarial in this Forum, don't we?

On the subject of propane, there are risks leaving the system live whilst in transit and those risks can be reduced to zero simply by turning the propane off. It doesn't matter that no-one has ever come across an issue running with the propane on, the risks still exist but practice proves that they are very small risks and well worth accepting in the pursuit of a cold beer, and there's no sarcasm intended there, either. That some of us choose to run without that small risk should only be a point of interest for those that do run live, not a point of criticism.

Tip it all on its head, though, and think about the poop I get for towing with a minivan. According some I am a risk to myself, my family and everyone on the road and yet, like running with the propane live, practice is proving that the risks are far less severe than some will claim.

I did once leave the propane on when we set off so the fridge was running all the way home. I arrived home safely and not towing a big ball of fire so yes, I accept that the risks are minimal. The trouble was I had no beer left in the fridge!

For the complainers, yes I do have too much time on my hands at the moment; in between jobs just now
__________________
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #103
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
since you went on a tangent and mentioned minivans...I need to dig up helmet threads on ATV forums for you all to reference, lol
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #104
Rivet Master
 
MrUKToad's Avatar

 
2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,372
Images: 17
Blog Entries: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
since you went on a tangent and mentioned minivans...I need to dig up helmet threads on ATV forums for you all to reference, lol
Only for comparative purpose, Geek
__________________
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #105
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
We do get a bit adversarial in this Forum, don't we?

On the subject of propane, there are risks leaving the system live whilst in transit and those risks can be reduced to zero simply by turning the propane off. It doesn't matter that no-one has ever come across an issue running with the propane on, the risks still exist but practice proves that they are very small risks and well worth accepting in the pursuit of a cold beer, and there's no sarcasm intended there, either. That some of us choose to run without that small risk should only be a point of interest for those that do run live, not a point of criticism.

Tip it all on its head, though, and think about the poop I get for towing with a minivan. According some I am a risk to myself, my family and everyone on the road and yet, like running with the propane live, practice is proving that the risks are far less severe than some will claim.

I did once leave the propane on when we set off so the fridge was running all the way home. I arrived home safely and not towing a big ball of fire so yes, I accept that the risks are minimal. The trouble was I had no beer left in the fridge!

For the complainers, yes I do have too much time on my hands at the moment; in between jobs just now
If a travel trailer is equipped with LPG (propane system) there is never a zero risk.

The bottles can be shut off, and a risk is still there.

A bottle can fall off the a-frame.

A LPG bottle can explode if hit just right in an accident.

For that matter, a tow vehicle has fire and explosive risks. Get in an accident, as some have, and the fuel tank can rupture.

Life always has risks.

How those risks are dealt with and/or handled is the key to safety.

Being careless, is the huge enemy.

Being careful and cautious along with good PM, is a lifetime friend.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #106
4 Rivet Member
 
time2play's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 343
We travel with our propane off. We put a bag of ice in the freezer, and our perishables go in the freezer too with the ice (meats, jar of mayo, etc). Pop, beer, lettuce, etc. goes in the refrigerator (we make sure food is already cold). When we get to our destination at the end of the day, food is still cold and ice has barely melted.

We also keep a small cooler in the truck for cans of pop and other quick snacks we want to keep cool. Much easier than stopping and grabbing something from the refrigerator.

When we did our initial walk-thru, it was the technician who recommended this method and also recommended we travel with the propane off. Never thought there was any reason to question him since his recommendation worked for us.

This thread has been interesting, to say the least.
__________________
Yolanda (and Phil)
2013 30' Classic Limited
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #107
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
What is pop? Jim
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #108
4 Rivet Member
 
time2play's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 343
Soda pop! Cola. Coke. Pepsi! Dr Pepper. It's a regional thing, I guess. haha
__________________
Yolanda (and Phil)
2013 30' Classic Limited
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #109
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Is it ok to run fridge on propane while towing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I think people who shut off accept that it's very low probability and when they hear people say "there ain't a person on this thread or anyone I can find who has had a problem" - those folks often will then cite the limitations of anecdotal evidence - rightly so - and that ruffles feathers obviously

But is it not just as much feather ruffling to dismiss those who shut off as hypocritical, logically inconsistent etc

Tit for tat I say

So then you can post hard evidence of how towing with the propane on is proven hazardous?

Post it up so we may all be as informed as you are.

I find it amusing that some folks lacking the evidence to back up a positive assertion mock those who won't factually disprove assertions that were never proven in the first place.

You claim "evidence", let's see it.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #110
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
I never meant to claim evidence....if I did, I apologize...I only assumed that running with gas on and running through trailer constituted a tiny increase in risk of damages/injuries and folks seem to sometimes choose to mitigate this presumably tiny risk and doing so on that assumption does in fact mitigate a tiny risk.

Sorry if I overstepped
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #111
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Is it ok to run fridge on propane while towing ?

So then you can prove the tiny risk then?

Or is such a risk asserted by virtue of "common sense"?
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #112
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
So then you can prove the tiny risk then?

I assume it only at this point
__________________

__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keeping fridge cold while towing... HansenClan Refrigerators 9 08-22-2012 02:35 PM
how much propane to run a fridge? Rollerboy Refrigerators 4 10-23-2007 11:50 AM
Running the fridge while towing? andyfuson General Motorhome Topics 15 09-20-2003 01:15 AM
Run the fridge while traveling? CBBOB General Motorhome Topics 35 11-26-2002 08:40 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.