Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
In that scenario, would anything happen other than $76 worth of propanes escaping into the air? The escaping gas would have to meet an ignition source to cause a fire.
I have heard stories of RV's burning down, but never what caused the fire.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
In that scenario, would anything happen other than $76 worth of propanes escaping into the air? The escaping gas would have to meet an ignition source to cause a fire.
I have heard stories of RV's burning down, but never what caused the fire.
That would the most likely outcome of a pipe fracture with the LPG valve open; no argument there.

If the pipe was fractured as the result of an accident then there would be a increased risk of an ignition source, maybe from friction. It's unlikely but it is possible, and that's the risk that's up for consideration. Small? Yes. Avoidable? Yes. You decide.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If we are going to travel with propane off in the name of safety, then we should also use a harness for pets when traveling. We don't. Our cat just wanders around loose in the cab of the truck. I don't plan on having a wreck, but no one does...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
We think so and have been doing it for eleven years now and tens of thousands of miles. Happy trails!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
When it's just mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup and pickles in the fridge I don't even run the fridge while traveling.
There's more risk from eating that warm mayonnaise than from the LP catching on fire.

At a service station my TT refer flame is some 20-30 feet behind my Ford diesel's fill spout. It's highly unlikely any flame is going to ignite the gas/diesel pump. I think this risk is being over stated and I like the additional insurance I'm not propagating any food-borne illness. So, I keep my refer on and my food cold.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
ok, at this juncture it is may be worth mentioning what is very much well known by the field of psychology...I am not a psychologist by training but have consumed a few books that touch on the subject of various cognitive biasis, heuristics, etc...

My point here is to acknowledge that when it comes to an extremely complex science of epidemiology of risk and trying to approach your daily life and avoid various low probability events, we use all sorts of mental shortcuts....intuition is the term often used....the psychologist daniel kahneman calls it "system 1 and system 2"....with system 1 being our sort of highly efficient auto pilot...while system 2 rejects intuition and seeks out facts, data, and anaylys is to guide the conclusion.

Almost none of us can say we make logically consistent well thought out statistical based science based decisions about all sorts of risks, many thatare entirely avoidable....we just are not generally wired that way and oursystem 1 is quite powerful and effecient (for good reasons).

We have our intuitions always working to assess risks and react "on the fly"...subjective notions, biasis, heuristics are all well known to GREATLY affect our perceptions of something like risk....these cannot be dismissed when thinking about such matters as they probably matter to most folks more than statistical data.

As such, it is not at all surprising that many of us make logically inconsistent decisions....lets say turn our propane off which carries lets makeup a number....0.002% risk in your lifetime of harm....it stands then to reason that any and all risks in our life that are equally easy to avoid with equaleffort that are 0.002% risk or higher would be avoided without question....otherwise we would be logically inconsistent.

But none of us are sitting around with our calculators figuring this stuff out...and I am not suggesting that we should in most cases....we all must keep our sanity....our system 1 is highly efficient and actually does a pretty excellent job of avoiding obvious risks or even less obvious ones, but once we get to the level of very small stats...you start getting into some of the territory of the subjective influencing the decision process.

All of us I suspect choose to avoid various low probability events in our lives, and accept on the other hand other equally probable risks or worse yet,accept risks that are totally avoidable that are extremely higher in probability.

These facts should not be surprising....and that is just fine....

Leaving the propone on while in transit constitutes some element of risk….for many of the “common sense” reasons discussed….those reasons are perfectly plausible and likely improbable. Avoidance of that risk is reasonable. Pointing to the hypocrisy of that person? Folks better be prepared to have that finger pointed back at them because almost no one is innocent of this flaw.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
There's more risk from eating that warm mayonnaise than from the LP catching on fire...
Turns out this old homily about mayo is totally wrong. I used to believe it, too, until an Army veterinarian (and we all know the Army is totally nazi about their food services) told me that mayo is actually a bacteria killer and that lunch meat covered in mayo is safer than lunch meat left out on its own.

Bizarre. Mayonnaise alone is too acidic for bacteria to grow in it. So put it on the shelf with ketchup. Ick. Not ick to ketchup, but definitely ick to warm mayo, even if it is safe.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I am more concerned about my cat being injured in a collision than the trailer catching fire or getting sick from eating warm mayonnaise- there isn't a significant temperature drop in the fridge on an hour long trip on a 60 degree day, but a. 9 hour trip on an 80 degree day...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
wait huh what what..my micro bio teacher in college spoke at length about contaminated potatoe salad...oh now im off to google and ill have to send an email to him, hahahaha

Old 04-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
This is Killing Me

I find this thread quite amusing. Here we are, once again, debating a topic that has been run into the ground. In this one though, folks are talking about "statistics" and how you should dismiss these and accept those all the time not offering up any real studies on the topic. Why are there no statistics on trailers bursting into flames because they ran with the fridge running?

Then the discussion turns to the fact that there is "some" risk in running the fridge and many people choose to avoid this risk by packing extra ice boxes, freezing food ahead of time, packing the fridge with blocks of ice and so on.

Someone used the idea of "common sense" and got blasted for doing so. Well, think about this in the general scheme of the discussion. If the risk is indeed very low when the fridge is running, why would you act on this by turning the fridge off while at the same time totally ignoring other "low risk" possibilities? Tires blow, lightning strikes, hail falls, hitches fail, accidents happen and yes, trailers do roll over. People have died and yet we ignore these issues and focus on turning off the fridge. Common sense tells us that all of these are very low risk concerns. We are careful, we maintain and inspect our vehicles and then we drive down the road and have fun. Being attentive to risk is one thing but fixating on the minutia can really induce a lot of stress.

To each his own, as everyone points out, but I will stick with common sense to see me through.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Point is:
Running with fridge on-
Short trip, mild day- no-
Long trip, hot day- yes-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"Despite its reputation, mayonnaise can reduce food spoilage."

oh man, hahaha, I love finding out how wrong I was....that professor was a previous food inspector as well....

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
- Richard Feynman

Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
Dairy products or food containing mayonnaise (such as coleslaw or potato salad) that have been out of the refrigerator too long
One of the items on a list published by the NIH. Google it.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #70
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives: Leonard Mlodinow: 9780307275172: Amazon.com: Books - apparently such a book applies to both the topic and wandering content of this thread.