Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #141
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
Wow, somewhat unrelated but I found this link on Airstream Boondocking......very helpful: WBCCI Caravans » Boondocking with Your Airstream
Bigskyrider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #142
3202 Ellie

1975 Argosy 24
milan , Michigan
I have always travel with fridge on have jared the flame out a couple time on other campers not the as can't get there with hot beer
boliversr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If one pulls through to the front pump and the trailer refrigerator is beside a pump behind you, then the lighted propane refrigerator could make a bad day for a your rig and the person pumping gasoline on the other side of that pump.

Also, the location of your generator set needs to be far enough away from the refrigerator when you refill it with gasoline.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
If one pulls through to the front pump and the trailer refrigerator is beside a pump behind you, then the lighted propane refrigerator could make a bad day for a your rig and the person pumping gasoline on the other side of that pump.

That's the only time I have been concerned. The rest of the time the fridge is running - I want my food cold - they are designed to operate this way.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
IMHO, if there is a sizable gasoline spill on a good hot day next to the propane fridge there might be reason for concern, but typical tank filling not so much. But I suppose that one never knows when a person might dump gas when filling.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #146
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
With good batteries fully charged we have been off the grid in Glacier NP for 4 days. Moderate light and water pump usage we took a quick shower each night and kept the refrigerator on and were OK. We do travel with the refrig. on propane.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #147
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
As an experiment I drove about 2 hours today with the propane off. The refrigerator heated up by about 10 degrees. Now that I have parked it is still trying to cool down. It was only about 80 degrees outside.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #148

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
IMHO, if there is a sizable gasoline spill on a good hot day next to the propane fridge there might be reason for concern, but typical tank filling not so much. But I suppose that one never knows when a person might dump gas when filling.

That's pretty much why if the trailer is next to a pump, I turn the fridge off. With the newer self igniting units, it only takes a second to flip the switch back on and the burner ignites.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I assume that very soon after turning off gas valve the flame would go out being that is I think lower pressure

As opposed to turning off the gas to my weber babyQ that has regulator at the grill and hose has quite a bit of LP under pressure that will burn a couple minutes after shutting off tank valve?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #150
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I assume that very soon after turning off gas valve the flame would go out being that is I think lower pressure
If you turn off the gas at the tank while the frig is on gas the frig will NOT RELIGHT when you turn the gas on again. This will also be the case with the heater.

Both the frig and heater have very small pilot orifice and will not purge the line before the unit times out on flame failure.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I can confirm that turning of tank valves - then gassing up - then turning back on put light on fridge back to "gas" without a problem and ice when got home 2 hours later still solid....

But I wondered now that if I cut off valve - how long till the pilot goes out?

Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #152
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Besides the above concerns I guess my main concern is that with bouncing around and bumps on the road fittings may work themselves loose causing a leak. With propane settling downwards a build up of gas could occur which would not be detected while driving.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #153
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
As an experiment I drove about 2 hours today with the propane off. The refrigerator heated up by about 10 degrees. Now that I have parked it is still trying to cool down. It was only about 80 degrees outside.
You might try the experiment with some frozen blue gel pacs in your freezer and fridge. This system effectively turns our fridge into a big picnic cooler when we travel, and it works just fine. When we camp for the night we turn on the fridge and refreeze any thawing gel pacs. Some plastic water bottles would probably work just as well.

This system also extends our boondocking battery life. The fridge fan helps the fridge exhaust waste heat more efficiently, but it does use up some battery power. If we stay over in a campsite we turn the fridge off during the day and turn it on again at night.

Polarlyse, how great to camp in Glacier! In defense of not driving with the propane on in that area, we nearly hit a moose once on HY 2 en route to Glacier, with the Bambi in tow. The darn thing just ran across the highway right in front of us, then swerved away at the last minute. In Canada we have also had bears come out of the brush and run right in front of our truck. We had to brake really hard to avoid hitting them. I should think even an accident with a deer would be dangerous for driving with the propane on.

Accidents will happen even to careful drivers in deepest civilization.

More to the point, we've just never seen the need to drive with the propane on. We've never had food go bad or propane go warm, and we do spend time in hot areas, as well.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #154

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Is it ok to run fridge on propane while towing ?

Turning off the gas at the bottle will take a small amount of time to exhaust the gas in the lines. It will take a bit of time dependent upon how big the flame is at the burner. I actually go inside and flip the switch on the fridge. That way I know the gas is off.

The other issue to consider is that on the newer trailer like mine, you have two issues to deal with. First is that when you shut the gas off at the bottle, the electronics in the fridge will detect the flame out and will start the spark ignition routine. I don't want sparks when next to fuel pumps. The other thing is that the spark ignition routine has a timeout function. This means after multiple unsuccessful attempts to light the burner, the spark system shuts down and a fault light lights up on the face of the fridge. At that point the fridge needs to be reset by turning it off and on. My fear in using this method apart from the spark issue is that the lighting cycle has timed out and even if you put the gas on, the fridge will not restart. I usually travel with only one gas bottle turned on and have run out of gas on the road. Even turning on the full bottle will not relight the fridge if the ignition timeout routine has been exceeded.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
That info is appreciated! Had not thought about a spark routine

Old 08-24-2021, 06:01 AM   #156
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
2019 Basecamp
Troy , MI
I always tow with the LPG active on my fridge...works great, nice cold drinks and other things upon arrival
corvettes is offline   Reply With Quote