Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Is CSST really such a bad idea?

We are at the point where it is time for gas. All of the original copper and related is gone. We are not running a propane fridge, no heater. Just water heater and the stove. I really do not want to run copper under the trailer. If I run the flexible I can do it all with just two fittings for the interior and completely concealed. Anyone else not blow up from doing this?
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I've got CSST on mine and haven't had any issues. I'm keeping an eye on it due to all the reports, but all connections have been leak free for a number of years. Rubber tubing is wrapped around the CSST at entry points so that probably helps with vibrations.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Did you ground yours when you did it? I also hear where lightning is a concern. I can certainly see where grounding it would be a decent idea but the original copper was not. I personally think I am going with the CSST and let the others sweat it.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I'd get Lewster's comments ...
Pretty sure the gas pipes are under the trailer for a reason.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
The copper gas line on my 77 Argosy was grounded by a #10 wire clamped to it and the frame in the front by the LP tanks. I am sure it came that way from the factory.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Certainly possible that the grounds were removed. This thing was jacked with plenty before we got our hands on it.
I certainly have seen some valid reasons for the copper being under the trailer and understand. I just keep thinking that the advancements shouldn't be ignored. I am really on the fence here.
Lewster's?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Gas flex is not rated for use in mobile installations. In addition, all connections other than to the appliance being supplied must be accessible from outside the living space of the RV.

It's been a while since I had to reference those regs., but they stand out in my memory.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Thanks Lewster!
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Oh... Lewster is a person.
Hi there, I appreciate you chiming in. Is there some sort of a link to get me to where I should be looking at this?
Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Oh... Lewster is a person.
Hi there, I appreciate you chiming in. Is there some sort of a link to get me to where I should be looking at this?
IIRC, It's in the NFPA Standards #58
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
You might want to visit CSST Safety. They lay out a pretty thorough set of details. If you get the black CSST that is tested and listed to ICC-ES LC 1024 and keep it outside of the living area you are probably in a good safety zone. Running any kind of gas line inside a living area is a pretty universally bad idea.
Loden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Hello,

I would just stick with copper. It is cheaper, easier, and is proven with YEARS of safe service.

I am not picking, just curious to see if you have found a solution I have not heard about.

What do you intend to use for heat?

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Pageland , South Carolina
The reason that the copper is run underneath is simply that it is safer. With the lines run underneath, a leak would not be as dangerous because LP gas, being heavier that air, would sink and dissipate when released. If it were run inside, a leak would be contained and could not dissipate. Enough built up gas, and an ignition source would then cause a very bad day. As for CSST, as mentioned above, is not listed for this type of use. Grounding it in a building is dependent on the manufacturers instructions and the local building departments interpretations. If hit by lightning, it has been known to develop pinholes. Major leak hazard. I personally don't like the stuff, and would not use it. But thats just me.
rivetsforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Did you ground yours when you did it? I also hear where lightning is a concern. I can certainly see where grounding it would be a decent idea but the original copper was not. I personally think I am going with the CSST and let the others sweat it.

Yes, the manifold is bonded. Easy to do.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote