Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Interstate with propane leak

Hi,
I have a 2006 Airstream Interstate. While preparing for Alumapalooza 2013, my wife took it to the local propane supplier whom we always use. After filling the tank, propane shot out from under the vehicle in a "giant cloud". Obviously a concern. I took the van to Camping World in Sweedesboro,NJ where they charged me $95 to tell me there was an overflow valve underneath the vehicle and everything was alright. Next time I went to get propane, gas shot out from under the vehicle again, so everything was not alright. The question is, who does repairs to a propane system? The propane dealer doesn't, Camping World has proven incompetent on numerous occasions, nearest Airstream dealer is three hours away. Any ideas?
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
My 2 cents worth

Find either an RV repair company or a reputable trustworthy propane dealer for advise. Arn't you close to an Airstream dealer?
There are a couple of places here in Hampton Roads I would trust, thee must be one close to you. After all, its a sideways tank isn't it?
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatooga11 View Post
Hi,
I have a 2006 Airstream Interstate. While preparing for Alumapalooza 2013, my wife took it to the local propane supplier whom we always use. After filling the tank, propane shot out from under the vehicle in a "giant cloud". Obviously a concern. I took the van to Camping World in Sweedesboro,NJ where they charged me $95 to tell me there was an overflow valve underneath the vehicle and everything was alright. Next time I went to get propane, gas shot out from under the vehicle again, so everything was not alright. The question is, who does repairs to a propane system? The propane dealer doesn't, Camping World has proven incompetent on numerous occasions, nearest Airstream dealer is three hours away. Any ideas?
Actually, it may not be Camping World that's incompetent. It could be the fellow filling the tank.

There is in fact an overflow valve on the tank. Since the tank is built-in, you can't weigh the tank to tell if it's full. The usual procedure is to fill the tank until liquid propane starts coming out the overflow valve, then quickly remove the filler hose and close the overflow valve. Some propane is lost, but it shouldn't be much, just a quick spurt. If you see a vast cloud of propane, that means he's leaving the filler hose connected too long. And incidentally charging you for all of the propane that's being released into the air through the overflow valve since it's metered at the pump, not at the tank.

The question is, when the guy is done filling the tank, what does the gauge on your control panel say? It should show over 75% full, and stay that way until you use up the propane. If the tank empties out by itself even when you're not using the propane, then you have a leak.