Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
Installing PortableCatalytic Heater in Rear Beadroom

Has anyone tried connecting a 3000 btu portable catalytic heater connection in the rear bedroom of a 1994 34 Classic? Getting ready to do it if I get positive feedback and some help with instructions for the best way to do it. Regards,
Don Hetzler
Emh142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm not sure where one would fit. Rear facing on the bathroom wall up pretty high?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I would think long and hard before I put a catalytic heater in a bedroom. Maybe I worry too much, but what if I forgot to crack open a window, or an unexpected wind driven snow event blocked it, oh, and the oxygen depletion sensor on the heater happened to malfunction. Like I said, maybe I worry too much, but I'd keep it in the living area.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
These things were standard for years in AS, they worked well. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Post pictures and a review if you do the install! Thanks.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
I'm thinking of a free standing 3000btu with an extension of the gas line either through the cupboards and out the wardrobe on the curb side bedroom bulkhead or outside line into the wheel well in the wardrobe the through the bulkhead. Anyone tried this???
Old 02-14-2014, 01:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Installing PortableCatalytic Heater in Rear Beadroom

Maybe I am paranoid too, but I would not put any unvented gas heater in any camp trailer. A very small area combined with the potential air tightness of an Airstream might spell disaster.

It only took a few minutes of cooking with two stovetop burners to set off my carbon monoxide detector.

I shopped long and hard for the right vented heater, and an electric space heater can work fine in a bath when shore power is available.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
All you vintage people, how well did these work in vintage AS? I had on in a 1973and it worked great. Just pop a vent open a little. Never had any kind of dtetctor go off. What about the rest if you? Jim
Old 02-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emh142 View Post
Has anyone tried connecting a 3000 btu portable catalytic heater connection in the rear bedroom of a 1994 34 Classic? Getting ready to do it if I get positive feedback and some help with instructions for the best way to do it. Regards,
Don Hetzler
Two problems.

1. Fire hazard.

2. LPG leak.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Two problems.

1. Fire hazard.

2. LPG leak.

Andy
Other than those 2 problems, what else can you tell us about living with a catalytic heater in your camper?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Fire hazard is common sense, keep flammables away. Leaks not a problem installed properly! Jim
Old 02-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Are the hazards any less for a furnace? The more I hear about LPG appliances, the more I want to steer clear of the extended use ones ( heater, refrig).
rippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Other than those 2 problems, what else can you tell us about living with a catalytic heater in your camper?
A portable heater of any kind is not a good idea in an RV.

Way to many ways to cause a fire.

A catalytic heater, is very useful, but it should be mounted permanently so that a fire is not likely, unless things are carelessly placed near it.

On the other hand, the furnace, depending on it's rating, puts out 10 to 20 times the heat (btu) that a catalytic does, as well as circulating the heat.

Or, if you wish to take the chill off the coach, you can use the AC as a heat source.

The only real advantage of a catalytic heater is that it does not use any battery power.

Andy
Old 02-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippie View Post
Are the hazards any less for a furnace? The more I hear about LPG appliances, the more I want to steer clear of the extended use ones ( heater, refrig).
Those same things are a hazard in your home as well.

Fixed locations for heat sources as well as proper ventilation for the exhaust are the keys for safety, in a home or RV.

The added issues for an RV is vibration. It can and does cause things to go astray, such as LPG leaks.

Checking an Airstream for a LPG leak is very simple.

Shut off all the LPG appliances, including the LPG tanks.

Look at the LPG regulator visual pressure indicator.

When the LPG system is pressurized, it will show "green", meaning you have pressure from the tank, that has pressurized the LPG lines.

Check that indicator after an hour or two. If it's still green, you have no leaks. If it's (red) the LPG pressure was depleted because of a leak.

Should you have a LPG leak, take a squirt bottle with some water and liquid detergent in it. Spray all the LPG fittings until you find the culprit.

Fix what ever you found leaking, and then repeat the test.

I have always suggested that the above test should be done yearly, or if a leak is suspected.

Things can get loose in an RV because of vibration, which can come from excessive rated tow vehicles, excessive rated hitch bars, lack of proper running gear balance, as well as bad rubber rods in torsion axles.

Peace of mind is always welcome.

And so is safety.

Andy
Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I agree with Andy that heaters should be installed in a location where they are away from combustible things, particularly draperies and bed linens.

I'm not a fan of catalytic heaters for reasons I've written about elsewhere at length; there are better alternatives for boondocking.

But if cats are installed they should not be in the bedroom. Too easy to end up with a sheet, blanket, or article of clothing in contact with them.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have an Olympic on both my 34' and have often thought of installing a second in each stateroom. The radiant heat is great. Safety sense should prevail!
My only complaint comes from the moisture accumulation from the propane. A vent left open solves this but lets out heat.
I think I'm opting for a tiny wood stove in my Classic just to avoid messing with lpg plumbing.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #17
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
Smile Thanks

THINK I'll move on to replacing the bathroom flooring. The heater can wait a while but it would really have come in handy in the boonies for two weeks with temps approaching freezing each night with no generators.