Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
installed new regulator and lines

Just thought some of you would enjoy these. My LP regulator and lines were probably original to the 1990. They were mounted to the worlds flimsiest bracket and it was bent over forward to get the change over knob to stick out the cover. I got tired of it and made it right. I am a diesel mechanic and good with my hands. First bought a pair of 24" lines and a standard auto change over Camco regulator off ebay. $30 for a couple of sittings and a piece of 1/8" x 2" flat stock. bent and new bracket up and welded it to the trailer where the flimsy old one should have been from the factory. Next mounted the regulator and lines then a couple fittings to put the outlet back to the same place at the original and reconnect the old outlet line. I am trying to replace that as well but its actually in pretty good condition I just painted it all to match and looks like new. Now with the cover on the regulator and lines are all in teh right place. what do you think? Personally I think the factory should do a much better job of mounting this stuff from day 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6992.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	189985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6995.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	189986  

Name:	IMG_6997.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	189987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7000.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	189988  

Name:	IMG_7001.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	189989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7002.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	189990  

Name:	IMG_7003.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	189991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7004.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	189992  

excellaf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
The installation looks clean and neat, nice job.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Your work looks really nice. I have a 92 with that same flimsy bracket. I'm redoing mine with the same Campco regulator you used. I also bought two 90-degree elbows so the lines would come off the top and allow the regulator to nestle in between the tanks. The problem I'm having is that, even after several tries, I always end up with leaks where the original fittings that came on the Campco screw into the 90-degree elbows. The only thing I can think of is maybe the Chinese fittings from Home Depot have sloppy tolerances or something like that. Or maybe I need to use a different paste. I used Harvey's TFE paste on the male threads, but those two joints keep leaking. The sealant/adhesive the factory used to hold those two fittings into the regulator body looked more like an epoxy to me. Any ideas? Where did you buy your fittings? Are they American made? Any help or ideas would be really appreciated.
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
Your work looks really nice. I have a 92 with that same flimsy bracket. I'm redoing mine with the same Campco regulator you used. I also bought two 90-degree elbows so the lines would come off the top and allow the regulator to nestle in between the tanks. The problem I'm having is that, even after several tries, I always end up with leaks where the original fittings that came on the Campco screw into the 90-degree elbows. The only thing I can think of is maybe the Chinese fittings from Home Depot have sloppy tolerances or something like that. Or maybe I need to use a different paste. I used Harvey's TFE paste on the male threads, but those two joints keep leaking. The sealant/adhesive the factory used to hold those two fittings into the regulator body looked more like an epoxy to me. Any ideas? Where did you buy your fittings? Are they American made? Any help or ideas would be really appreciated.

funny you mention a leak... on my last trip I noticed a smell of propane when I lifted to lid to the tanks. Not sure where it was coming from I haven't d time to check. I will pay attention to those fittings though. I just used a brass street elbow from Home Depot and Blue block pipe dope. Its not as grainy as tfe type pastes and seems to have less leaks I use it at work. I never checked the thread pith it could be something other than NPT and therefor will leak with a standard NPT fitting in it. Ill have to investigate in the future. No time to do it right now. I have a regular day of work then 3 nights of soccer practice and games on weekends with the kids... that wont be over till mid Nov
excellaf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Looks nice. Both Airstreams (1999 & 2000) I've owned had the regulator up between the top of the tanks. I always wondered what that low cut out was for on the back of the tank cover.

Wonder why they moved it...to possibly get the regulator away from the batteries ?
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I think converting the line to exit vertical is a great idea, but I been all over town looking for 90 degree elbow and no one has it. I don't have a HD but will check them out the next time I see one.
Rxtravelprn is offline   Reply With Quote