Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

1960 24' Tradewind
Hooterville , Alaska
Indoor/Outdoor stove

Been considering doing some remodeling on my old stream. Wondering about taking out the magic chef range and gaining more counter top space. Had some spare stainless steel to make into a nice countertop.

The idea I'm wondering about is replacing the old stove with some sort of camping stove -- one that maybe I can modify with some fittings to run off the propane feed line. This way, I could use the stove inside or out, and store it out of the way when not needed.

Now, from what I read, everyone seems concerned about using propane camp stoves indoors. How is this different or more dangerous than the magic chef?
Can I modify a camp stove to run on the lower pressure feed from the tanks?

Has anyone tried this? Is it safe to do so?

Thanks!
AndL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I recently bought a Weber grill. The small version. It is set up to use the small propane bottles, it is also adaptable for use with a 20# propane bottle with an optional hose.
While I don't use it inside because of the smoke, I suppose one could use something like the Weber inside.
But my question would be. Why not have a cooktop inside with a cover. You gain the counter top space with the cover and have a means of cooking inside.
We rarely use the inside cook top. Instead we use the Weber for most of our cooking. Even cook eggs on it using a griddle pan.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #3

1960 24' Tradewind
Hooterville , Alaska
Hoping for a more flush countertop and cleaner look. If I don't physically mount a stove top in the counter, all that smooth, flush, uncluttered space has lots of versatility for you name it, rolling dough, a coffee maker, chopping space, work bench, etc.

The new airstream sports have this european stove with a folding glass cover that is more flush. The stoves are way expensive, however, but it is another option.

Someone else locally mentioned an induction stove top, which is also very cool but requires electricity to operate.

So the most clean and versatile way to go would be some sort of portable gas camp stove, IF it is safe and practical to use. I could cook indoors, outdoors, hooked up or boondocking.
AndL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just carry an old Coleman double burner camp stove and set it up outside and leave it there. It is something else to carry, but simple and effective. That may not be what you want, but this stove has a lot of sentimental value. My Uncle bought it new to take to Ethiopia in 1962 when President Kennedy made the call for volunteers for the Peace Corps. He passed it to me when I was 12 years old. I've used it heavily for 39 years!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Check out a portable butane stove. They are small and burn clean and are useable indoors or out. A lot of restaurants use them for their buffet lines, etc.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote