Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Identify my Aluminum tank???

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I need a little help to identify what size my aluminum LP tanks are. I was assuming they were 40lb. tanks, but am questioning myself now that I have read some of the threads on this forum. My tanks are Worthington Aluminum, and measure 26 5/8 " tall. They need new updated valves and to be re -certified.
Also, I understand that the aluminum tanks require a different valve than the steel tanks due to the shape of tank. I was advised as to the valve for the 40lb. tank ( 7 inch drop) but in the event I have 30 lb. tanks , which valve do I ask for.

Many Thanks

Mike
Joebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Look at the collar of your cylinder. There you'll find "WC" followed by a number. WC is water capacity in pounds; multiply that number by .42 to find the capacity of the cylinder for propane.

Lynn
Old 01-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
THe dealer replacing the valves on your tanks should know what you need.

That being said, I just went out and looked at some of my tanks.. The 30 pounders are about 27 inches high.

I had several revalved in 99 when the change over was done by a dealer in Ohio. These are equipped with valves with a 5.8 inch dip tube.
I seemed to lose a little capacity compared to the original valves. Perhaps as much as a half gal. they usually fill to about 6.9 gal

I had another one redone by a local company that Hydrotests tanks sent from all over the U.S. so one would assume they know what they are doing.

The valve they used was a dip tube length of 4.8 inches. I have not emptied this tank to know what the refill capacity is but I seem to recall the typical 30 lb bottle should hold somewhere around 7.2 gallons.

I have not had any problems with the one with the shorter tube blowing off when left in the sun so it must be ok.

The dip tube length, at least on the new valves will be stamped on the side where the wrench flats are. Will say something like DT 4.8

Don't have any old ones to see if they have similar markings
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks eubank. my result is 29.86 lbs.

30's they are..!!!

Mike
Joebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote