Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Philadelphia PA, and Takoma Park MD
Send a message via AIM to roadtrip07
i am slightly clueless..

i have a 1963 airstream bambi that is not in such good shape....i just replaced the messed up floor with nice wood laminate and am feeling quite good about myself. however, i realize that i now have to deal with all the stuff that i have no idea how to deal with, such as gas lines....etc. the refrigerator and stovetop have long dissapeared. i assume those are both propane? also, there arent any propane tanks on the place where they are supposed to go. where should i get those...or what i should i do to make sure everything involving gas is still working? thanks....

Old 10-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Roadtrip! If you are clueless I highly recommend you get a pro to handle the propane work. You really don't want to be learning while you go! There is apicture somewhere on the forum of a burned out AS from a propane fire!

You are correct that the Bambi should have a fridge and a cooktop above it built into the kitchen counter. You can get new appliances that will fit in the holes the old ones left, or very close with minimal cabinetry work. And now you'll have new appliances to boot. Get new propane tanks, the old ones wouldn't have been legal to use anyway because of more modern valves they use now. And you'll want to get a new regulator. I had to replace all the propane lines on my trailer anyway, because although they worked, road damage over the years had left them crushed and weak. Your heater would also have been propane, and few shops will work on them because they don't have the modern safety features of a new heater. You may want to look into installing a catalytic heater to replace your furnace.

If you want to restore to vintage, you'll be looking for vintage appliances, and that could take a while. But if you want new working appliances to get you camping by spring, then you'll have no problem. Find someone you trust to do this work, write a big check, and you'll be well on your way to having a fully functional Bambi again!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
A really biiiiiiiiiiig check......I'm at $17,000, but then again there are several reasons why I chose to go that route:

1) I don't have a huge garage to park it in and do the work.
2) I don't have the patience anymore, like I used to when I was a bit younger, to work on projects longer than a month.
3) I wanted it done in less than four months.
4) I wanted it done professionally.
5) Even if the above 4 reasons weren't a factor, I'm just too darn lazy.

Keep in mind that my Sovereign is about 15' longer than yours too, so there's a lot more to restore.

Welcome to the board and your new addiction.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
$17,000 - ouch! But I'm guessing you have had a lot done for that! I have about $2000 into my propane system - new regulator, lines, fridge, and heater. I had a pro do the regulator and lines, and I installed the appliances. My pro wasn't cheap either ($80 an hour), but they did a good job, and it was nice to have a finished, tested system handed back to me, ready to go.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Philadelphia PA, and Takoma Park MD
Send a message via AIM to roadtrip07
thanks for the replies, guys. wow...17000, i dont have that kind of money to spend. any work that i have the knowledge to do myself i will....but i certainly can't work on the propane stuff if i abide by that rule. who should i look for to do that kind of work...someone specifically knowledgeable about airstreams, or just a general trailer/rv guy? if i should get an airstream guy...where might i be able to find one? i'm pretty sure i can install the applicances myself, like you did Stefrobrts, with the help of a car nut/friend of the family. thanks again..
Old 10-03-2005, 05:17 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
I got recommendations from other local Airstreamers to go to the shop I used. They do not specialize in Airstreams, but they were a small family run shop, and did good work. Hoefully someone can help you find someone similar in your area. Luckily the propane systems are not unique to Airstreams, so anyone should be able to work on them.

You might want to get your appliances figured out, then tackle the propane. There's still work to do to get them fitted and hooked up with electricity (if you get a fridge that runs on 110v also). Then with the appliances ready to go your propane guys can finish it up and test them.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
My pro wasn't cheap either ($80 an hour), but they did a good job, and it was nice to have a finished, tested system handed back to me, ready to go.
Just a quick FYI, the shop where I work just raised its labor rates to $82.50/hr, and may raise them again as non-billable shop expenses continue to soar. $80 is not that bad, at least for the big city.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Steph,

Yeah, $17,000 got me a lot done....the interior was completely gutted and redone....what could be salvaged was reconditioned and put back. When it couldn't be salvaged, either an original replacement part was found or a new updated part was located. In the case of the flooring, I decided to update it with carpet in the living room and bedroom. The galley and head got Marmoleum. The L-shaped sofa was completely redone with new foam and upholstery, as were the bolsters and new bedroom wallpads as well, with the same upholstery as the sofa. A new fridge went in, as did a new toilet, black tank, rear decking, new awnings curb-side, road-side and rear. A new tv and radio antenna, as well as a new rock guard. Original aluminum mag wheels, new power center (bye bye Univolt!), new water pump (whisper king), new faucets and new mattresses...jeez, I know there's more, but I just don't remember! As soon as I get the pics from South Jersey RV, I'll post them. By the way, my pro charges $65/hr labor and $35/hr demolition fees

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 10-05-2005, 12:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
17k !?!?

Frederic -

Love the name and spelling by the way! My oldest son is Kristofer... Anyway, on to the reply!

For not a lot more than your refurb price I got a complete trailer that is 100% and ready to roll. Of course it isn't "new" / vintage like what you have. For me the logistics of having to think through and resto/ refurb plus the nuts and bolts of having to do it ( or pay to have it done!) is just to much to contemplate. Hence, I got the trailer that had it all, ready to roll, and off I went - for not much more than you have spent on all the work, plus your purchase price.

Now, I'm not knocking your route at all - more power to you! - but for me that way was the long way around to my objective, AirStreamin! Plus, at that kind of $ you are pretty much married to the TT, or if you need to get out of it for any reason, you are losing money. Now granted, if that is the trailer of you dreams/ childhood or you are staying with that unit for the long haul, then you have a better chance of breaking even with it.

I mean, lets face it. AirStreaming is also a financial burden - new ones especially! I wanted a unit that was original, didn't require a zillion bucks and could be used from purchase date forward. AND, if I needed to sell it for any reason, that I wouldn't get hosed. Mission accomplished. I LOVE my SilverToy!

To each his own I guess.

Just a thought!

Ciao, and go camping!

Axel
Old 10-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Roadtrip07,
You can purchase new aluminum tanks from airstreamdreams.com and several other sources. Running new lines is not hard to do. Camping World sells the regulators and hoses. Any hardware store will have everything else you need. You will also need copper tubing some fittings and a flaring tool. Your work can be tested by spraying a mixture of dish soap and water on the connections and checking for bubbles.If you are not confident it's best to hire a pro but it is a doable homeowner fix.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Axel,

You know, you're opinion does count in my book, and I respect the route you took. For me, it was about making a trailer that I bought my own. I contemplated this decision for a long time, and in the long run it was really what I wanted to do. Because Sherri was terminally ill, I wasn't sure if the best decision was to put it into restoration right away or wait. My decision was based on the idea that the trailer would be done in a short amount of time, but I found out that restorations take time, if you want them done right. We still owned our 21' Sunline, so I really wasn't worried about not being able to go rv'ing. Unfortunately, Sherri didn't live to see the completion of the Airstream, but she wanted me to keep it and make memories with the kids. I'm glad that I have this trailer, and I'm glad that I chose the way I did, because it will always remind me of Sherri. To me, that is worth the money I've put into it, as I will never get rid of it.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371