Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Winnipeg , Manitoba
How to use my detector

My detector has 2 lights, in the picture they are to the left under the test button. The top one has 3 colors, green, yellow, and red for normal, fault, and alarm. The bottom one says valve, and has recently turned on and blinks occasionally. I'm not sure what this means. But I did turn off the tank till I get it figured out. Can anybody help me out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00914.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	108588  

Tagalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The detector is set up to operate a solenoid valve. Motorhomes of some eras had a propane shutoff valve held closed by a spring and opened by a solenoid connected to the propane detector. The idea was that, if the propane detector tripped, or was disconnected, the gas supply would be shut off. I don't think they were ever used on trailers in the U.S. but maybe they were, or still are, in Canada. Or maybe someone put in a propane detector with the extra circuit and there isn't a valve connected to it.

There were two problems with that approach. One, the solenoid valve requires enough electricity to hold open to pose a fairly serious problem for boondocking. Two, propane leaks into the living quarters of RVs have never been a notable cause of fires.

The solenoid valve setup is still used for marine applications, where propane fires and explosions have been a much more serious problem, and where battery operation for days at a time is highly unusual.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote