Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by S C Streamer
All the boats that I've sailed on, all had alcohol stoves for this very reason.
In fact I can't recall ever seeing a LP stove on a sailboat.

Mark, we in the UK must just be cheap. LP gas stoves are by far the most common stoves in UK yachts. They are far cheaper than alcohol stoves, which tend to be fitted to yachts intended for long distance foreign cruising. Our regulations insist that the gas bottles be stored in a separate gas tight locker with bottom drains overboard above water level, and that armoured flexible pipes or solid pipes link to the stove. There are still too many explosions caused by such systems. We built our first cruising yacht when we had plenty of dreams and very little money. My wife found our stove while walking past a dumpster in the street!

Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:19 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
We built our first cruising yacht when we had plenty of dreams and very little money.
Hi Nick,

Always have admired people that go to sea on a boat built by their own hands.

BTW alcohol stoves are a real pain to use and not very effecient.

S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #17
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Years ago, I hired a plumber that must have sniffed to much pvc cement. His test for a leak in a just assembled natural gas line was to place his lighter near the connection.

He did find a few "leaks" in the form of a very small flame.

I guess the only thing dumber was that I was standing there watching him do this....

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Well thats a reason your LP lines are outside under the trailer not between
the bellypan and the floor.Only inside to reach the appliances.The soap
method is what I used on my line connections after I installed the new water heater ,I did leave in the shutoff lever valve under the double bed where the
water heater is ,so I can shutoff the gas when lights out for the night.

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:55 PM   #19
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally Posted by classic67
Glad I came across this thread. We pick up our new AS on Monday from the dealer and I will ask about detection sensors, shutoff valve loations and any other tips where to look for leaks inside the AS.

Our dealer told us to plug the fridge into electric the night before a trip so the fridge is cold and than turn on the LP until we arrive at our desitination. I tend to think it will be better to pack food in coolers until we arrive at the campsite to plug in to electric than travelling with the LP tanks on. Which brings a question to mind. How long on average does it take to get the fridge cold starting from normal room temperature?
Many people will tell you it is perfectly safe to travel with the frig on gas. I am not one of those people. I have a 31 year old frig and it was 118 degrees last week, it takes all night to get that unit cold.
Here is what we do:
Run the unit over night to get it cold
Pack it with cold items before you leave
Add a few Blue Ice things for the road
Get it running (we use gas, no shore power) when you get to your campsite.
Refreeze the Blue Ice things for the trip home.
We just came back from a 5 1/2 hour (each way) trip and used this method. Half of the trip tempertures were 90+ and some was over 100. We had no problems and everything was cold when we arrived.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
I would like to add that I use a similar procedure to help out my challenged Dometic during all hot days. Namely, I re-freeze all my blue freezer packs during the night and then put them in strategic places in the fridge during the day if the temps are in the 90's+ to help keep the fridge colder during the days.

wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote