Old 05-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #29
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
So my AS has two 30 lb propane tanks and no gauges. I am assuming that this is setup so that when one runs out, you use the 2nd one while you refill the first.
That is the idea. They are also more manageable physically than a single 60 pound cylinder.

Quote:
How do you know you ran out of propane? I assume when you have no more hot water?
You should have what is called an "auto switchover" regulator. It has a lever or (on older ones) a knob that you can point to either tank, and it will use propane from that tank until it's empty. Then it displays a red flag so you can see it's switched, and uses propane from the other tank.

Overall these work well. There are two things to be aware of. One is that you might not get the red flag if you're using no propane at all, which can happen on newer trailers where nothing has a pilot light. The other is that in extremely cold weather with the furnace running, you might get the red flag even though there's quite a bit of propane left.

Some propane cylinders have float gauges, which makes it easy to see what the situation is, but they are expensive and Airstream only installed them at the factory on high-end trailers.

Quote:
If I use propane to run the fridge only, for example, how long will a 30 lb tank run? Are we talking 1 day? 1 week? 1 month?
If you run the fridge on propane it will typically go through a tank every month or so, depending on weather and the size of the fridge. If you leave the water heater on it will eat a tank of propane in a week. The furnace can go through half a tank a day in really cold weather.

I have a dual-fuel (electric + gas) water heater which does reduce the amount of gas I use. My propane tanks are 40#, not 30#, but as a practical matter I go through one or maybe two tanks a season.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcstreamer View Post
so my as has two 30 lb propane tanks and no gauges. I am assuming that this is setup so that when one runs out, you use the 2nd one while you refill the first.

How do you know you ran out of propane? I assume when you have no more hot water?

If i use propane to run the fridge only, for example, how long will a 30 lb tank run? Are we talking 1 day? 1 week? 1 month?
how long is a piece of string???:d

Old 06-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino84ac View Post
Has anyone poured water over a tank to find the propane level? I have & it works. The propane chills the water forming a light frost.
I pour a cup of hot water down the side of the cylinder and then feel where the hot steel gets cold. I would think you get frost only if the propane was in heavy use in cool weather. I've seen frost when it hit 38 degrees in Mississippi and the furnace was running steadily.
I get about 2 weeks on a 30 lb cylinder in normal use with some catalytic heater use to take the chill off on cool nights and mornings. Hot water is Gas only; Fridge normally on electric but on gas when traveling and I cook in the trailer using the stove and sometimes the oven.
JCW
Old 06-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
how long is a piece of string???:d
Twice the distance from the middle to one end.

So a 30 lb. tank will last twice the amount of time it took to get to half a tank; yes?

A half tank can be determined by noting the day the tank was filled, run it empty (switch tanks), divide the number of days by 2 and that's how long a half tank will last.

Sorry, couldn't resist

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
40 lbs of weight = 10 gal of liquid, one 40 lb tank lasts me 30 to 45 days frig only.
So your 30 Lb tank should last 30 days running just frig.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
How long does 30 lbs of propane last?

The high paid consultant's answer: "It depends..."

I'll send you my invoice.

Scott Adams had it right. Dogbert as a consultant: I'll CON you, then INSULT you, then tell you to do what you would do anyway.

I'm absolutely convinced the Dilbert strip is a documentary. There were times I was sure Scott was watching MY life. Especially when my boss asked if I knew how to spell COBOL. Grey hair got me in trouble again, just like Bob the Dinosaur.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
From one week to one year in my experience. 🤔

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The tank won't last as long as you hope.