Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
How can a gas line leak water?

So, let me preface, that I'm in Myrtle Beach where there's a lot of condensation from our AC'd interior to the hot exterior...so I don't know if this is condensation related BUT I woke up this morning to a drip coming from a tear in a hose. I thought it might be the water line going into the water heater but it is the propane line. The host surrounds the line right before it goes into the body and up to the hot water heater. I looked inside the hot water heater and there are no puddles of water...no evidence of water running down the line through any part of the water heater. And yet it continues to drip. Any clues how gas is becoming liquid? Is it? Or could it just be condensation somehow?
ArtWithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Water has puddled atop the belly pan and is leaking out the hole. The rubber is only there to protect the gas line within it.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
There is a rubber shield hose over top the copper gas line... and my best guess is the drizzle of air conditioned air from inside the shell is making the rubber/copper a condenser plate for the ocean of water vapor washing over the trailer...

Works too even if indirectly - the floor being super-chilled since cold air sinks and cooling the basement enough it flows downhill too... So after dozens of hours or more the cool line perforating the pan is brimming with dew!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is just water draining out that hole. You really need to be concerned with where that water is coming from. These old trailers tend to have a lot of leak related floor and frame rot issues.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Or, just maybe... Since the tubing is bare above the hose end, and since it is humid there, and since expanding propane is cool, perhaps the bare pipe is condensing water vapor out of the air?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll do a little more investigation on where it is coming from but thanks!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Could be.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
Or, just maybe... Since the tubing is bare above the hose end, and since it is humid there, and since expanding propane is cool, perhaps the bare pipe is condensing water vapor out of the air?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
That is my guess also. Fairly common to have condisation on your tank when using the propane.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Okay- Quick update. So I turned off my water heater to see if the propane was the issue and I think I've isolated things to the Air conditioner. It looks like water/condensation from the AC is finding its way into the belly pan and then finding this hole/gas line to drip down off of. On the other side of the AS, the water is streaming out of the proper runoff line but on this side, I don't see one...so the mystery now is where is the water coming from? My question to you guys- is there supposed to be runoff lines for the AC on both sides? Could the line be clogged and running down the walls? How did the water get in the belly pan from the AC? How would you diagnose? Aaaah, the mystery continues....
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What is the maintenance history of the trailer? There are 1000's of places that can leak water and it all ends up in the belly pan. Leaks can be frustrating and hard to find. The AC condensate drain is usually on the left side of the trailer in front of the wheel well. There is no drain on the opposite side. You can have plumbing leaks as well. Is the water heater right above that line? It could be leaking or fittings to and from it can be leaking.

A trailer of the age of yours usually needs some serious structural repair in the rear end as a result of water damage and the resulting decay of the frame and floor, especially on the east coast where it is wet all the time.

Perry
Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
The water heater is above the line but the leak only seems to happen when the AC is on. Thanks for letting me know that the drain is only on one side. That's one clue.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtWithin View Post
The water heater is above the line but the leak only seems to happen when the AC is on. Thanks for letting me know that the drain is only on one side. That's one clue.
Sounds like the drain line for the AC is broken, disconnected or not sticking through the bottom. Water from the AC should come out the line just in front of the wheels on the street side.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Too simple. Too mundane. Why is it when we hear hoof beats we tend to think of a quagga instead of a horse? Glad you found it.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Pull the airbox on the inside which should be a couple of screws. You should be able to see the drain line for the AC from there. You could put some food coloring in that line and see if it ends up where your leak is. It is possible the line is busted but I would think that it would end up on the side where the drain is and not the opposite side. You could also be getting condensation from the AC cooling the walls of the trailer and the condensed water drains down the walls and out the bottom skins.

Perry
Old 09-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
If* it were an A/C condensate drain line leak it would be plentiful - how much water are we talking about, a wet smudge or pints of water? Is it one, ten or fifty drips-a-minute?

Can you place a catchment to say it's leaked a tablespoon an hour or a pint an hour?

Also with a line leak there would be puddling hidden above where you're discovering it - some trailer shifting or rocking with stabilizer jacks raised up off the ground would likely increase the flow for a few minutes. Any sign of that, or is the flow undisturbed?