Old 05-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
1997 34' Limited
Cornwall , Ontario
Horizontal tanks

I have just recently purchased a '95 Classic 34'. It has the dreaded horizontal tanks. I am aware that these tanks can not be retrofitted with an OPD valve. However, many propane filling stations are not aware of this! I checked with the NFPA code 58 which specifies the requirements for the OPD valve but also mentions an exemption for the horizontal tanks:
"The 2001 edition of NFPA 58 modified requirements to exempt horizontal cylinders manfactured before October 01, 1998, from OPD's. (These cylinders must be labeled with their use)".
My question is this: Does anyone know where I can get these labels. I have called someone associated with the NFPA and I got nowhere.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are stencil places on the web who would make you an official looking "Horizontal tank - OPD Exempt - NFPA 58" stencil for, say, $20. In your choice of sizes and fonts.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

The Airstream Store has the labels for the OPD Exemption available for a couple of dollars each. Call 937 596 6111 ext. 7418 or 7400
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I know that this is a fairly old thread. However, I wanted to say that I contacted Airstream Customer Service and they sent me the attached .PDF document with the exemption for Horizontal Non-OPD Tanks. I printed it and took the document with my two horizontal tanks that were manufactured in 1989 (as I recall) and the propane dealer inspected the tanks and issued new leak inspection labels and filled the tanks. They told me that some dealers around the nation may not acknowledge the exemption but they were aware of it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Horizontal Tanks.pdf (26.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 07-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
This is interesting. I am trying to get my old non-OPD tanks filled and I wonder if this might be of use. I wonder if I could put a lable on them that said they were for industrial use. Yes they go on a welding rig.

Perry
Old 07-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perry,
I don't know. It's probably worth looking into. They did check my tanks for leaks and that the valves worked properly before they put inspection labels on them. I may have trouble getting propane on the road. TBD
Old 07-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It may also depend on the seller. Regular propane dealers may well have less experience with horizontal RV cylinders that RV park-based sellers. We see them here fairly regularly on some of the truck campers ... and, of course, on some of the older (but not vintage) Airstreams.

Lynn
Old 07-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Lynn,
I know that the commercial RV campground closest to my house (about three miles away) has sold me propane for these tanks for over ten years. However, they told me that they couldn't inspect and recertify them and they sent me to their distributor for that. The distributor did a free inspection with the purchase of the propane.

Thanks for the input!

Steve
Old 07-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I thought that these tanks were vertical so you would not get liquid into the system?

Perry
Old 07-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
I don't know about your state, Bryant, but inspection and recertification are jobs that require a license that differs from the standard filler's license, at least in some states (mine included).

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Lynn,
I know that the commercial RV campground closest to my house (about three miles away) has sold me propane for these tanks for over ten years. However, they told me that they couldn't inspect and recertify them and they sent me to their distributor for that. The distributor did a free inspection with the purchase of the propane.

Thanks for the input!

Steve
Old 07-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
eubank,
What you say is true in Kansas, also. The RV park where I've normally bought propane is a licensed propane dealer, but they cannot inspect and recertify propane tanks. They sent me to their distributor, who employs several people who are certified inspectors. The man who did my inspecetion is both an certified inspector and a certified and a certified inspection instructor. But they also filled my tanks after doing the inspection.

Steve
Old 07-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Yes and no. Standard vertical cylinders have the valve situated at the center top. As long as you use these cylinders in vertical position, no danger: Only vapor will come out. Similarly, horizontal cylinders have a valve located off to one side of the top, and these cyliinders can be situated for use only so that valve is at the upper part of the cylinder once they are in horizontal position, hence achieving the same result: Only vapor comes out.

Ultimately, it's a matter of choice for manufacturers of RVs (but a bit of a pain for users who find that some fillers aren't that familiar with horizontal cylinders). The vast bulk of manufacturers chooose to use standard, vertical cylinders.

Lynn

PS: A safety note. Please store, transport or use these cyliinders only in the position for which they are designed: Vertically for vertical cylinders, and horitontally with bottom down for horizontal cylinders. Failure to do so could result in a very rapid acceleration to points far away from your current position, a flight you probably won't survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I thought that these tanks were vertical so you would not get liquid into the system?

Perry