Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Horizontal tank problems

My 1999-34' Limited has the horizontal Worthington aluminum tanks, I'm not sure if they're 30 or 40 pounders, the last few times I've taken them to be refilled the gas places have had a devil of a time getting propane into the tanks, yesterday I took one to 3 different LP gas places and finally an Airstream dealer and they were only able to fill the tank halfway...The Airstream dealer said the tanks should probably be replaced, but had no idea where to get them, I've called a couple of bottle gas companies in the Tucson area and they said the valves can't be replaced as they wouldn't be able to be certified....

Does anybody have any advice on what to do??

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Horizontal tank problems

Greetings Steve and Jan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Limited34 View Post
My 1999-34' Limited has the horizontal Worthington aluminum tanks, I'm not sure if they're 30 or 40 pounders, the last few times I've taken them to be refilled the gas places have had a devil of a time getting propane into the tanks, yesterday I took one to 3 different LP gas places and finally an Airstream dealer and they were only able to fill the tank halfway...The Airstream dealer said the tanks should probably be replaced, but had no idea where to get them, I've called a couple of bottle gas companies in the Tucson area and they said the valves can't be replaced as they wouldn't be able to be certified....

Does anybody have any advice on what to do??

Vintage Trailer Supply offers new Worthington Horizontal Tanks. I suspect that as a Worthington dealer that they could also obtain the correct valves for your current tanks. You may have to look South or West of the WI border to find a shop willing to work on your tanks -- when I lived in Grant county, none of the nearby WI LP suppliers would fill my vertical Worthington Aluminum tanks even though they were less than one year old.

Good luck with solving your dilemma!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
New Tanks???? Why... it would seam that the tanks are not the problem rather the valves... If the are aluminum tanks fix the valves!!!! If not it may be cheeper to replace the entire tanks. But my guess is something more might be the problem...

Vin
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Filling horizontal cylinders is a smidgen tricky. My suspicion, based on your description, is that they've got excess air pressure inside, causing the propane pump to fail to fill them all the way. If you do go to a full-service propane place, tell them that the cylinders need to be "purged" before they're filled.

See, I KNEW there was a reason why we should have gone to Arizona this year instead of trying to hold out here for another year ...

In any event, you surely don't need to purchase new cylinders, based on your description.

Lynn
Old 12-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
propane

Go to a full service propane service place.
Bill's propane in Phoenix does my work and certification 480-610-6751 for my Squarestream horizotal bottles.He has always done me right.I am sure there must be one in Tucson.
Also look under Squarestream on the trailer forums of the Airforums at "Squarestream propane bottles"
And look at "1988 Squarestream 29 ft project".Leefield replaced his with steel bottles.You could PM him if you need more info about where he got his.
Remember the horizontal Aluminum bottles for a TRAILER are hard to find.I have been told that the ones used on like forklifts will not work on trailer.
DO NOT JUNK YOUR ALUMINUM BOTTLES.If your going to junk them PM me first.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
There's a place in Tucson that I'm going to take the bottles to on Monday, hopefully they can figure out what is going on with them, thanks for the replies..

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote