Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valdosta , Georgia
Heat from A/C unit

I have started to remodel my 71 32'er and am wondering something about the heating. I live in So GA and plan to camp in fall and winter but not above the mason/dixon. If I add a second A/C unit that has aux heat, will that provide enough heat for the camper in normal conditions? I do not trust a 40yr old gas heater and do not want to invest in a new one if I can get by with the aux from A/C units.

thanks

Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
A heat pump roof unit will do what you desire, but be advised that they will not work below about 40*F. Newer Airstreams come with Dometic Penguin low profile heat pump units.

lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Lewster has it right. Our heat-pump roof unit (Dometic) works great down to outside temps of about 40 F.

We have a small, utility heater about 8in X 8in X 8in that keeps us toasty below 40.

Ken
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Send a message via ICQ to Skater Send a message via AIM to Skater Send a message via Yahoo to Skater
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaCamper View Post
I have started to remodel my 71 32'er and am wondering something about the heating. I live in So GA and plan to camp in fall and winter but not above the mason/dixon. If I add a second A/C unit that has aux heat, will that provide enough heat for the camper in normal conditions? I do not trust a 40yr old gas heater and do not want to invest in a new one if I can get by with the aux from A/C units.
Nope. I'm in Florida at the moment, outside temperature is 42 (low predicted at 36 tonight), and our aux heat is NOT keeping up. The furnace however is toasty warm.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaCamper
... If I add a second A/C unit that has aux heat, will that provide enough heat for the camper in normal conditions? ...
A clarification may help. Will this 2nd unit be a heat pump or a standard A/C with an integrated heat strip?

Our TT came equipped with a heat pump and I've found it adequate into the 30s, albeit noisy (same noise level as running the A/C). I don't know what the output of the integrated heat strip is, maybe some one else will chime in, but I suspect 1 or 2 small portable heaters would do the job. I carry a compact ceramic cube type heater if needed. It served us well in our previous TT. I've read in other threads where some have found the oil filled radiator type heaters to be very satisfactory.