Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
have you found this

I went to get a tank valve upgraded and ran into this they want 85.00 dollars to change a valve and said it would have to be changed again in five years. But they offered to sell me a new aluminum tank for 165.00 dollars that would be good ten years what do you think I should do .Fore sure I am going to call around some Monday and check prices it seemed high to me.But everything is high now that I am retired. I live in South Louisiana if any one know anything please message me Billy
housebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think there is a slight misunderstanding somewhere. The OPD valve should not have to be changed in five years, but an older steel tank will have to be recertified periodically. If that recertification doesn't require any work, it should be pretty cheap. On the order of $15. Aluminium tanks have to be recertified as well after their initial longer period of certification, but at least they are lighter and do not rust.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I believe certification is good for 12 years in the US and 10 in Canada. I may be wrong on the US years, but am pretty sure Canada is stricter. What may be ok in the US may cause you problems in Canada. Housebg, I'd stay away from the place that wanted $85 to change a valve (I hope that included a new valve) and told you they only last 5 years.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Call other propane suppliers in your area to get prices for a valve replacement.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
That seems about double what it should cost. Once an OPD valve is installed it shouldn't need replacement. If you fill your tanks the propane outfit should give you a break and not charge you for recertification.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Re-Qualification: US Rules

First, you can buy new steel tanks for considerably less than you were quoted. Here's a link to Home Depot (Lowes carries the same):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthingt...3954/202034841

A new tank is certified for 12 years. Thereafter, it needs to be "re-qualified" before it can be filled legally. Re-qualification costs about $40 dollars at a gas supplier (think welding store/gas supplier in most urban markets or a propane dealer [Amerigas, Herring]) for the five year extension. If your tank does not have an OPD valve [or it fails], then it will be installed as part of the re-qualification at an added cost. Re-qualification is valid for either 5, 7, or 12 years based on inspection method which determines when re-qualification is required again in the future:

5 years - if the "External Visual" method is used, your tank will be stamped with an "E" time extender (added to the existing RIN number stamp on the collar).

7 years - if the "Proof - Pressure" testing method is used your stamp will be a "S" (added to the RIN number).

12 years - if the "Volumetric Expansion" testing method is used, a new RIN number will be stamped on your tank.

Be sure you ask which method is being used when you are quoted a price for the service. Typically, the 7 or 12 year method costs as much or more than a new steel 30lb tank from the big box retailers; or much cheaper than a new aluminum tank.

Gov regs:

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/pv_obj_cach..._cylinders.pdf

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
In 2014 I paid about $30 each for new valves. Additionally, I paid about $30 each for labor, which included installation of the valve and external visual re-certification of each tank. No stamping was done. They installed a sticker which included the date of the inspection, an "E", and a number that identified the vendor.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
I just replaced one tank with a new one from a local propane dealer for $85.00 plus tax. Recertification was not worth it here in Tucson. Would end up costing more than buying a new tank. We were in Canada last year and they require 10 years. Also very few places refill tanks. Most places are on the exchange basis.
Skykiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
They were trying to rip you off. Time to find another supplier. If you had a Blossom in your area check with them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skykiva View Post
We were in Canada last year and they require 10 years. Also very few places refill tanks. Most places are on the exchange basis.
That may have been your experience where you were, but it's not hard to find places to fill propane tanks in our area.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:44 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Los Altos , California
Billy,
I'm a transplanted Cajun. Dealing with the salt air and rust all the time, I'd really consider the aluminum tanks if I could swing it.
CA_CAJUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
That may have been your experience where you were, but it's not hard to find places to fill propane tanks in our area.
It has been my experience that it is actually easier to find propane refill stations in Canada.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skykiva View Post
We were in Canada last year and they require 10 years. Also very few places refill tanks. Most places are on the exchange basis.
We've had tanks refilled in Canada without any problem. But in Minnesota, they required me to put a new sticker on one of them (why not both?) that said we had to get them recertified (or requalifed) after 12 years. I can't recall anyone ever looking at the stamped date on the tanks. Some places seem careless in filling tanks and I just move further away. Best to park far from the filling area so that if something goes wrong, you don't lose your rig. The good thing is propane doesn't easily explode, but the fire still can do a lot of damage. Considering all the propane that is available and the relative lack of fires, despite a nasty potential, propane is pretty safe.

Since I do not have a horizontally installed tank, I don't know the recertification requirements for those tanks, but they may be more frequent than the vertical tanks that trailers have. The horizontal tanks are found in some MH's and truck campers. I believe they are being phased out.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My propane dealer will re certify my tanks free, as necessary, as long as I buy the propane to fill them there. He does get PO'ed, he says, when someone wants him to re certify a tank, then not fill it because propane is 30 cents a gal less at another place a few miles away. I don't blame him!
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
My propane dealer will re certify my tanks free, as necessary, as long as I buy the propane to fill them there. He does get PO'ed, he says, when someone wants him to re certify a tank, then not fill it because propane is 30 cents a gal less at another place a few miles away. I don't blame him!
Penny wise, pound foolish... the drive and time to recertify one place and fill another is worth at least $20 to me, to say nothing of the $4.50 difference in 2 FULL 30-lb bottles. Then again, I'd burn propane when it's cold rather than listen to a droning heat pump using the "free" electricity.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Costco has dramatically lower prices than anyone else here. I can't remember the actual numbers, but I haven't found anyone that comes even close. This is in both Kingston and Ottawa, Ontario.

If you are filling aluminum tanks though, make sure they check the data for your tank; the 'tare weight' is different, IIRC.

We had to get the tanks recertified when we bought the trailer, and I can remember that it needed list of calling around to find a dealer able to do it and licensed.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:34 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Whatever you end up doing, DO NOT use the exchange cylinder places. I just had to remove one of those gems from an almost-new Airstream, and replace it. The reason?
It was made in 1983.
Yes. 1983.
And it looked it.
And it had just come from an exchange place, and only had 13 pounds of LP in it.

*shudder*
Old 03-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I understand that the exchange cylinders are only filled to about 4 gal (16#), not the 5 gal (20#) that they are safely and legally allowed to hold. I don't know what justification they use for that, but apparently it is common.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #19

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I understand that the exchange cylinders are only filled to about 4 gal (16#), not the 5 gal (20#) that they are safely and legally allowed to hold. I don't know what justification they use for that, but apparently it is common.
My assumption has always been that they do it to maintain their profit margin. When the propane price is a bit higher, they put a bit less propane in so they can net the same per cylinder at the set price. The amount is always less than a max fill because, well, they're not in the business of providing a good deal, they're selling convenience.