Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
slk
2 Rivet Member

Elk River , Minnesota
Grounding Copper gas line

Is there a need to ground the copper gas line to the under carriage of the trailer? I see there is a ground clamp on the main line from the tank right close to the leveler in the front. Why would you have to ground something that is on 4 rubber wheels?
slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Here we go !!!!
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
Here we go !!!!
Oh boy I guess thiis a touchy subject?

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
The trailer and its chassis/frame/electrical system should be intentionally earth ground connected when using a proper 3 prong 15/20 or 30 amp 120VAC service. The copper line is incidentally connected (bonded) to the trailer's chassis via the fact that it is metallic. Intentionally connecting the copper piping (tubing) to the chassis would provide an intentional earth ground connection when connected properly to a 120VAC service. If a separately derived energy source (ie: portable generator) is used, the chassis is not earth grounded unless a driven earth ground electrode is used. Not, in my humble opinion, a bad idea. Under a properly earth grounded chassis situation, it would be quite simple and again, a good idea to intentionally connect the copper tubing of the LPG system to the chassis for an intentionaly earth ground when connected. Going down the road is a totally different story. No earth ground is possible under that situation. The earth grounding provides a measure of protection in the event of a lightning strike or a fault in the AC service.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
slk
2 Rivet Member

Elk River , Minnesota
Ok It makes sence to me now. I guess when the trailer is off the truck, and the jack and levelers are touching the ground it is a good idea. I did not think of that.

Thanks
Steve
Old 06-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
People have been camping for years and had no problems

.......... IF IT ISN'T BROKEN DON'T FIX IT................

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
what about straps off the back of the Airstream dragging on the ground?

They hang chains off the back of tow motors for grounds, I remember the old big cars with them hanging off the gass tank, Dont know why stactic electricity never blew them up.

They say a car is the safest place in an electrical storm, or if stopped and a high tension wire comes down on your vehicle dont get out, the moment when your foot touches the ground will hurt.

Maybe the same if your camping neer High tension wires while sleeping a wire falls on your camper? good thing its not grounded.

It will be like a big Von de Groff generator...
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
I tend to agree with the don't fix/aint broke thinking. however, slk said there was a bonding connection clamp on the line already. So, in less time than it took to make his post(s) he could have bonded the line to the chassis. Continuing the "...people been camping for years with no trble..." (paraphrased) one could mount an argument for no safety belts, no steel belted radials, no GFCI, no OPD valves; on and on. As an example, I just purchased an 85 excella and it had a fire extinguisher mounted beneath the foldup table. If the table were upright, it would be awkward to get to. If folded, nigh-on impossible in a panic situation. So, I moved it out into the open. Oh-the date on the Extingusiher is 1984. Hmmm, should I trust it (aint broke), or replace (fix) it?

So for me, my thinking goes to murphy's law. Back in 2002, Bill McNeal's RV was hit by lightning at Mission Raceway Park in British Columbia. Most of the Electrical devices he had on at the time were roasted. The neutral to chassis bonding point at the generator (where an earth ground connection would have been made, if it had been made) was severely burned/melted. Thank Goodness no one was hurt. Scared the **** out of a number of folks, myself included, but noone hurt. Would an earth ground driven rod saved the day? No one knows. But it only takes a few minutes to drive one, and Bill was there 4 days. Cheap insurance if you are not on a "Land Line" which is properly earth grounded.

thanks everyone for this forum, I have a myriad of questions that I have thought of, and everytime I do/see/touch/smell something on the AS, I come up with more questions. So, this forum is more than handy. be cool and enjoy the summer camping season.
ol' Bill
Old 06-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #9
slk
2 Rivet Member

Elk River , Minnesota
Ok as I stated in my first post there was one right under the rod for the stabilizer jack, but the copper tubing was drooping down. If I put the tubing back where it was the grounding clamp would touch the rod and thus wear out shortly. Yes there was a grounding wire there, but did it come from the factory??? I found a better place to ground the tubing to the frame.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Life was so much simpler before the internet. Use the trailer like Airstream outlined in the owners manual. I know several RV parks that if you attempted to drive a ground rod you would be asked to leave. Driving a rod into the water system or direct burial cable would not be the best way to endear yourself to the owners.

I am not discounting electrical safety just don't get overwhelmed with all the free advice the forums and internet provide.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
the key here is "...rv parks..." if the RV park has underground "stuff", then I suspect they may have a properly earth ground connected AC system, which would mean no necessity in driving a ground rod. And, if you are using a portable generator, there is no requirement for such a connection. There is no requirement to carry a spare tire, either. We still have some free will choices to make.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
We should stop now...
begin removing laws that took away our freedoms.
Maybe a few each July 4th, until we get back to 1955
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote