Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
White Pigeon , Michigan
Grey tank layout

I have a 71 Sovereign that is 31' long. I am wanting to add two grey tanks from VTS. I currently can't see what I'm working with because I am not yet able to pull the shell off and pull up the floor, which I hope to do in the next couple weeks. i would like to get my tanks ordered ahead of time so I'm not waiting on the tanks if everything else with the frame goes quickly. Does anyone have their plans or setup documented that I could look at and duplicate or tweak for my situation? I'd love input on the best way to add the tanks into the plumbing systems. Thanks in advance!
Emily
emilyweav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: You are embarking on a big project for sure. There are lots of vintage enthusiasts here that have done the same type of renovation. Air Forums can help you.

Maybe you have done your assessment and have developed a project plan. The fact you intend to pull the body off the frame means you have subfloor and frame repairs and restorations to do.

And you have to decide on your interior layout. Your new gray tank needs a vent so it will fill and drain. You may want to improve the old black tank too. Toilet position is a key factor in the bath design. Bath design is key to the kind of tanks you want.

You didn't mention if your Sovereign is a rear bath or not. I assume it is as most were. But late model Airstreams have the bedroom in the back and the bath in the center. This design makes better sense to me than a rear bath. Some folks take on a complete remodel this way.

I would recommend you wait until you get the body off and frame work done before you order tanks. Plastic tank lead times are not a project killer.

I have a 75 Overlander twin bed rear bath trailer that I'm doing some serious renovations. My trailer had rear end separation (likely yours does too) subfloor rot in the rear, bad axles, old appliances, too much weight in the rear, and the list goes on. I have installed a larger black tank under the existing toilet position, and a much larger gray tank. My trailer is a "rear drain" and I have kept that layout. My wife's trailer is a center bath with a below the frame rail drain manifold like most modern Airstreams.

So the plan dictates the tanks. How will you mount them, how will you measure the water level in the new tanks, how will you plumb the drain and vent lines, how will you drain the tanks, how will you heat the tank compartments, and how will you fabricate the tank "pans" so the tanks are protected from road debris. I'm sure I forgot some consideration needed.

So possibly there are a lot of unanswered questions to your project before you make a tank decision.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1802 Waste Tank Black Installed 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	94
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	310640   Click image for larger version

Name:	1802 Waste Tanks Gray Drain (Small).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	310641  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I'm doing this right now. 1971 Sovereign, rear bath. Solid subfloor. Drop the belly pan and put them up in between the frame rails with angle iron for support. I'm using the existing vents and not changing the bathroom layout.

PM me if you want to know I'm doing mine. It's pretty simple.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote