Old 10-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Not entirely related, but comment on using grey tank to manage black... first is to wash dishes in a tub in the sink and pour into the toilet. Over about four days, keeps both tanks close to even when reaching full. Secondly, after emptying black first (even with fresh water back flush holding for a couple minutes), there seems to be some amounts of solids/paper that just don't clear. Have been opening grey for 5-10 seconds to backflow into the open black tank, closing grey and letting black drain again a couple times. Seems to work (unless I'm missing something?) to loosen solid debris better than just the hose backwash and with flow INTO black, can't see any downside.

2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2011 F250 XLT 6.2L FlexFuel SD, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcate View Post
Not entirely related, but comment on using grey tank to manage black... first is to wash dishes in a tub in the sink and pour into the toilet. Over about four days, keeps both tanks close to even when reaching full. Secondly, after emptying black first (even with fresh water back flush holding for a couple minutes), there seems to be some amounts of solids/paper that just don't clear. Have been opening grey for 5-10 seconds to backflow into the open black tank, closing grey and letting black drain again a couple times. Seems to work (unless I'm missing something?) to loosen solid debris better than just the hose backwash and with flow INTO black, can't see any downside.
No problem with your technique at all, since the outlet line is attached, and you close the gray to keep black water from potentially pushing back into the gray tank.

Trying to equalize the levels in the gray and black tanks with the outlet closed will lead to some residual wastewater in the outlet area, which will spill when it comes time to drain the tanks.

TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemere , Quebec
Picture of the tub I use
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141025_200531.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	225236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141025_200516.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	225237  

WBCCI 20130
TAC QC-2
Pitou49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
My Thetford sani-con tank buddy macerator pump acts like a gate valve when not running. Their instructions state to pump the black tank first, shut off pump, open gray valve, let gray water flush into black tank, shut gray valve, and pump out black tank again. I find this is a good way to help rinse the black tank. We are always at risk of jamming something in a blade valve. Who else knows more about the ins and outs of black tanks than Thetford?

Gee, wouldn't be nice if access to these cheap valves was easier under an Airstream?

I replumbed my bath sink drain to the black tank just to help equalize usage in my old Trade Wind.

I think the new Bambi has just one tank for both black and gray water.

David
Old 10-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Left unstated in all of this, if your black tank is above floor level (some are) and your gray tank is below floor level (most are) then these gray-water transfer schemes won't work, because you can't make the gray water flow uphill into the black tank.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I'm just not comfortable with any scheme that may result in black water getting into the grey tank.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I'm just not comfortable with any scheme that may result in black water getting into the grey tank.

Agree!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
NeverInn, Thanks for the courtesy. However, using your approach seems to effectively turn your grey tank into a black tank as well, doesn't it? Am I missing something from your explanation? Using your approach how would you ensure that no black water gets into the grey tank when you "equalize" them?
NeverInn failed to mention step 3b. close gray tank valve. Then no mixing of tank water in gray tank,only in drain tubes.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
My 2013 Flying Cloud 25 has the bathroom sink drain directly into the black tank. It was designed this way at the factory. I have been told by many that this is a design flaw, in actuality it is a significant benefit. When I discovered the situation, I called Airstream and in fact there seem to be many other AS's out there with the same feature. Just turn on your bathroom sink and listen...if you hear it draining behind your toilet, chances are it drains into your black tank. If in doubt, call them with your vin.

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote