Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Getting tanks recertified

So how does one go about getting LP tanks recertified? I would like to keep my original tanks with the gages. I really don't want to replace them with some crappy generic steel tanks with no level gages.

I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone around Huntsville, AL.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
tank recert

up in in Minnesnowda, you can go to a large supplier, (look for giant propane storage tanks) and hopefully the right guy is on duty that day!
In our rural areas, someone has be to around to certify all those tanks we use for ice fishing. you know we tow houses out onto the ice here next month, right? joe q....
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Perry, I feel your pain. In the last few days I have called every propane dealer in the Montgomery Area, the industrial gas folks, the lobbying group and the state agency. No straight answers. In Florida, when one dealer could not fill my tanks, I called the guy he suggested and he told me that they re certify for $5.00 with a fill up since it was really only a visual inspection...Wish Now I had not brought my business home...the only common thread seems to be fear of liability ...
theykw

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I don't know about Al, but we had both of our tanks recertified while being out on the road, each in different states! Your uhauls and such typically can't do it, but just about every propane company that we've been to that handles the large residential tanks can recertify them.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think there is no standardization and no enforcement of regulations. I think it is slip me a $5 and I will fill your tank. Well I have called several places already and none have said sure no problem and what it will cost. I am to the point of filling off my main propane tank at the house. I hate bureaucratic BS. I am sure part of it is living in redneck AL.

Perry
Old 11-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
On a related issue I have recently found that the 30# aluminum tanks on our 2005 trailer bought used in the US are not legally refillable in Canada!

luckily not all propane suppliers seem aware of this, and in any case, most of our travels are during the winter in the US so it isn't that big a deal for me.

I wonder of any other Canadian Airstreamers have run across this issue?

I did check with Canadian authorities and have the regs that they sent me on file somewhere.

From memory - in rather surprisingly - its seems that a DOT tank built before a certain date (some date in the eighties if I remember correctly) can be filled in Canada, but not newer DOT tanks such as mine. The Tank must have Canadian Markings or a combined DOT / Canadian markings. Mine is just DOT.

You'd really think our countries should be moving closer, not apart, especially since most of our tech specs are just direct copies of US regulations.

I used to run into this all the time in my 34 year career with Canadian railways. OUr Canadian railway regs were close to 99% copies of the US, but just 1% different to confuse everyone.

It always seemed to me that it was due to our bureacrats just wanting to express the fact that we are "Different" and have our own distinct rules!

I'd be very surprised if there is much of a valid reason for the minor differences.

One of my pet peeves!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Here in the NW I have had no problems getting my tanks recertified at any of the larger propane dealerships including the coop that sells me my propane for my home. It is a simple inspection, and date stamping process, and here, at least, is mostly done free if you have the tanks refilled at the same time.

Now, if you have not had your tank valves changed to the new ones with the triangular shut off knob, that will have to be done at an extra cost of 20 to 30 dollars each tank. You may find it difficult to get new valves with the electric readout feature, at least in my experience here. They may not even be available, although I have not learned that for sure. But new "normal" valves for the AL tanks are common enough. Recertification is always done when new valves are installed.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
If your ever in GA there is a place here that will opd old aluminum tanks.

Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Wnen I got my aluminum tanks filled the guy just looked at my tanks and put on these stickers. No charge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	visual.jpg
Views:	4464
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	145599  
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Had mine done in Fla. I think it was 6 or 7 dollars, they restamped (no sticker) a code into each tank.

There are regulations in place on this I was told.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Hear in Knoxville it is Holsten Gas. The local gas distributer for oxygen, welding, propane, etc. You should have a similar company. Took 2 tanks in, checked, re certified, stamped date on flange, replaced on valve. Less than 100 bucks.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Gas

I found that many of the larger farm coops will certify tanks. Those that have large propane sales and is they have a heating -ac division it is almost a sure thing. Near where I live I just go to CENEX in a suburb, Cottage Grove.

Call up some local farm coops>
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
2003 34' Classic
Madison , Alabama
Perry,

I live in Madison, AL and the Heritage Propane dealer on Governor's West Drive (just off of I-565) told me that they could visually recertify tanks. That was several years ago, so you should verify that with them.
stanp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I have a set of metal stamps. I made a wrench to fit the valves. I installed my new OPD valve & stamped a new date on the tanks. No fuss , no muss.
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
I have a set of metal stamps. I made a wrench to fit the valves. I installed my new OPD valve & stamped a new date on the tanks. No fuss , no muss.
What did you stamp for your DOT license number? (The V-number on the sticker above.)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
After reading this thread I looke at my tanks, last inspection 1999. Decided to get them inspected here in NC. What an ordeal. Called my propane supplier for my home (The one who fills my out of date tanks) and was told they don't do it. Asked who did and they said they did not know. Asked who inspects their tanks, they said they did it themselves!

Called another dealer they said $85 per tank IF I became a customer of theirs. I declined. Called 3 more local company's all said they did not do it nor did they know who did.

Called local RV dealer they reffered me to the above propane companies!

Called the NC Agency in charge of propane, went all the way to dept head. He did not know he said. When I started to rant on him a bit (it is a election year) he said he might have a link to a list of inspectors. Finally got link that listed entire state. List showed all the local propane co's that had said they did not do it

Finally found a propane dealer 20mi away to do it. Final cost $10 for both tanks. I was so happy I had him fill both tanks.

What a ordeal.
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Two used 40# AL tanks purged and shipped from Canada. Amerigas in Fort Collins certified ($5 each), installed new valves, and filled. No problems.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Regulation involving certification (and other matters, including filling, the OPD requirement, licensing, and so forth) is a state matter, not a federal one. I would recommend that you check with your state for its regulations; if there is no state regulation (some states don't regulate), then check with the state association of propane suppliers to see if they have industry standards.

Lynn
Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think it should be allowed to fill non-OPD bottles if you are a certified LP supplier with the proper knowledge and equipment to not overfill these older bottles. However, logic rarely prevails when it comes to regulations. I could buy new steel bottles for what it would cost to have my aluminum bottles recertified and the new ones won't have the fill gage which I really like. The OPD valves will replace my higher quality obsolete valves.

Perry
Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Regulation involving certification (and other matters, including filling, the OPD requirement, licensing, and so forth) is a state matter,

Lynn
I just changed the valves from old to new. Traveling throughout the west I never had anyone ask me about certification and never had a problem getting them filled. I suspect if I did the next guy down the road would fill them.