Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portsmouth , Rhode Island
Gauging amount of propane in tanks

I have two tanks on my 2009 Flying Cloud 25FB and, because it is necessary to spend quite a bit of time in it this winter, thus running furnace a lot, I am wondering how one tells how much propane is actually left. Are there any "tricks" that anyone has learned, short of actually running out of gas? Thanks in advance!

Jack
JackRenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
In the winter you can pour hot water on the tank and the fluid line will show up instantly. As soon as you empty a tank go fill it and you will never be empty.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
A dual gauge would be a good idea. However, we took on 25 gallons when we were north on Oct 14th and fueled again with 20 gallons on December 5th. Granted, we have electric where we stay, so the propane use was for our hot water heater, range and furnace, not the fridge. We run the gen-set on propane, but have not used it much other than to exercise it. Hope that helps.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Pour a pint of very hot water down the side of the tank. Run your hand down it, you will feel the hot vs. cold line. That is the liquid level in the tank.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
There is a small device that will give you visual indication inside the TT of when the switchover happens. The sender part replaces the clear little cap on your regulator, and a thin wire runs into your cabin where a small (~1½" square) black box screws to the wall.

When the changeover happens, an LED (powered by a AAA cell) blinks.

Go pull the empty tank and put it in the truck. Done.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
There is a small device that will give you visual indication inside the TT of when the switchover happens. The sender part replaces the clear little cap on your regulator, and a thin wire runs into your cabin where a small (~1½" square) black box screws to the wall.

When the changeover happens, an LED (powered by a AAA cell) blinks.

Go pull the empty tank and put it in the trunk. Done.
Just make "SUPER SURE" that the tank is indeed empty, especially in the summer, should you put it in the trunk.

Heat makes the LPG expand, and when it expands enough, the pop off valve will blow off some of the excess pressure.

THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HAPPEN especially in a trunk, since more than likely an explosion will occur.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Why don't you just use the switch over feature on your propane tank setup? I mean, going out and pouring water on the tanks during the cold sounds like a lot of trouble to me. Fill both tanks and open both valves. Keep your eye on the glass indicator and when it turns red take the bottle that the valve is pointing toward in and refill it. Don't forget to turn the switch toward the reserve tank before you remove the empty bottle. You can get a feel for how long a tank will last this way.

No water, no guessing, no hassle.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I read somewhere that when an LPG tank empties, the propane system will begin drawing from the other even though the switch has not been moved over the the fresh tank. True?
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
No real tricks...

The panel monitors have proved fairly accurate and we have always opened both valves to take advantage of the auto switch-over feature of the regulator. When the panel indicates low just check the tank window for the red indicator and fill when needed.

Bob
Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
I read somewhere that when an LPG tank empties, the propane system will begin drawing from the other even though the switch has not been moved over the the fresh tank. True?
It draws from the tank that the arrow is pointing to, until that tank runs out of LP. Then it automatically switches over to the full tank provided that you have opened the valves on both tanks. Then when it has switched tanks and one is empty, the window in the regulator turns red to signify that the tank that the arrow is pointing to is empty. Switch the arrow to point to the full tank, and remove the empty tank and get it filled. Replace it and open the valve and you are good to go again.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My obsolete tanks have a gage on them. If I have them upgraded to make them legal to fill then I will have to remove them and put the newer valves on that won't have gages. Progress is wonderful. There maybe new approved valves that have gages. Andy might be able to chime in here. So Andy are there new valves with gages on them? The hot water trick should work.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Why don't you just use the switch over feature on your propane tank setup? I mean, going out and pouring water on the tanks during the cold sounds like a lot of trouble to me. Fill both tanks and open both valves. Keep your eye on the glass indicator and when it turns red take the bottle that the valve is pointing toward in and refill it. Don't forget to turn the switch toward the reserve tank before you remove the empty bottle. You can get a feel for how long a tank will last this way.

No water, no guessing, no hassle.
This is what I do.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I wondered what that glass indicator was that is now fogged up on mine.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
In situations like the one the OP posted - I would have a 3rd tank full at my camp site. This way WHEN (not IF) I ran out of propane in the middle of the night in a snow storm, I would have fuel to get through the night. The tank I rotate to get fuel would not be that critical in my living needs. BTW - When the weather turns bad the availability of propane becomes a problem - nobody seems to be open.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Why Not Install Guages?

Like the ones that on my 2007 Classic 30.'
They work great, and they eliminate the guesswork.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
There are tank level strips you can buy and apply to the side of your tanks. They function like the water trick and show the level of the colder fuel in the tank. You do need to be able to see the side of the tank to read it.

Propane Tank Level Sensor - PPL Motor Homes
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #17
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi Jack

Welcome to the forums.

I live and camp in Minnesota where it gets cold.

Here are your options and the various pros and cons:

1) You can get tanks that have a float gauge for $243 each plus shipping from Vintage Trailer supply. That's what I have (my trailer came that way from the factory) and it works great. The gauges are quite accurate and will give you a complete picture of your propane situation no matter what. Robert Cross and Ken (Alumaholic) have these and that's what they're posting about upthread. You can't install gauges unless you have a special fitting on the tank to take them which is why you have to get new tanks in most cases.

2) You can weigh the tanks, either with a scale or just by lifting them and guessing at the contents. A hanging scale helps for this. It's a nuisance to do but (if you use a scale and not just your arm) is very accurate and you don't have to spent $500 on new tanks. The tare weight (weight of an empty tank) is stamped on the tank collar, so just subtract and you'll see how much propane you have.

3) You can use the hot water trick described upthread, either with or without the indicator strips. Though it can work it's something of a nuisance to do and some people get the wrong reading sometimes.

4) You can use the changeover feature. It works great in summer when you're mostly using gas for cooking and hot water. In the winter there are a couple things to watch, however. If you're using the trailer in extreme cold, the indicator can turn red even if both tanks are partially full, because the propane in the primary tank (the one the lever points to) won't vaporize fast enough, so the regulator draws gas from both of them. You'll start seeing this at around freezing, especially if you run the furnace for a long time at once as when heating up a cold trailer. At lower temperatures it is more likely to occur. If one tank is completely empty at this point well the furnace won't stay lit. When it gets really cold you can, as a result of the same effect, use enough propane from the secondary tank that it is much less than full when the first one runs out.

If you're staying in extreme cold for more than a couple of days you might consider carrying a 3rd propane tank with you if you can do so safely. Some people also use 100# tanks in this situation which helps a great deal. Many propane dealers will rent or lease these.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Does anyone know what year that they started putting on the auto switch on the propane tanks. I don't know if I have that on mine, are not.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Don't worry. You have the auto-switch. They have been original equipment since the 70's, may be earlier. Just make sure you open both tanks. Both tanks must be open for the switch to do its job.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Just make "SUPER SURE" that the tank is indeed empty, especially in the summer, should you put it in the trunk.

Heat makes the LPG expand, and when it expands enough, the pop off valve will blow off some of the excess pressure.

THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HAPPEN especially in a trunk, since more than likely an explosion will occur.

Andy
Thanks to those who corrected my error. I meant to say "truck", and not "trunk". In my case, I use our car to take the tank back for refill, and I put it in the back seat wedged in so as not to move around.

I have one of those old cube-type plastic carriers that retailers used to use for milk, and it fits into it perfectly so as not to damage the seat.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote