Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Only one wife at this point. If I could find another as good as my current one, I gladly consider a second or third. I did however say "Many is us..." meaning I was speaking for more than just me as a vintage owner.
Nice recovery, Frank.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #44
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Filling tanks off my big home tank is starting to look better and better. The bureaucracy is really starting to irk me. I guess that is a side effect of working in a government agency for too long. The problem is with idiots killing themselves by being stupid is that sometimes they take others with them. I wonder if we have any Darwin award winners involving propane tanks?

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #45
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Learning New Stuff

I posted earlier in this thread that I use the crossover system. I also read a post that spoke of the possible problem with this if camping in below freezing temperatures. Thanks for that information. That was something I was not aware of.

We do camp in below freezing temps but not that much or that long so I doubt I will change my procedures soon. I am always diligent of my propane situation and have yet to run into trouble.

The whole propane filling thing is indeed a state issue. In Washington we are required to remove tanks from trailers before filling. I don't know what they do with motor homes. After 25 years, I have yet to see anyone weigh my tank. I have taken them in to actual propane dealers a few times and they never even discuss weighing. With an OPD and the use of that little vent thing, I am sure that mine do not get overfilled. If they ever have been then I am sure they vented to the outside as designed. When filling I transport them in the back of the truck. Never thought about putting one in the trunk and now after reading through this thread, never will.

Thanks for all the information shared here.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portsmouth , Rhode Island
Many thanks for all the helpful information. I have lots to think about! Has anyone had experience with using the EXTEND-A-STAY system which allows you to couple your propane system to a larger, external tank? Judging from the frequency with which I have to fill my 30 pounders, I am considering going to that system. Thoughts?
Thanks, Jack
JackRenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #47
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I have one of those Extend-A-Stay tee fittings on my MH. This allows me to bring just the tanks for refill while set up for the winter. I'll fill the built in tank in the fall & both 30lb tanks. I'll run off the 2 smaller tanks switching them as needed. The main tank only gets used when lazyness kicks in & the 2 smaller tanks don't get filled right away.
The extend-A-Stay tee also allows me to hook up a grill to the main tank while out ASing.

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote