Old 03-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Good link Vaughan. I do have a switchover valve but the red plastic tab broke off so it's hard to know which tank is active. Probably worth the money for a new one.
The one I am using now had a plastic slider to switch tanks instead of a lever like the one in the link. The handle part broke off when it was still relatively new leaving only a couple of small holes in another plastic part inside the housing. I discovered that I could stick a nail in the holes and move that part from side to side and switch tanks that way. I've been using it that way for years.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
I know that Camping World sells some plastic tank gauges that simply stick onto the lower part of the tanks. the plastic has within it a gas level indicator. I tried using the screw in brass gauges but for me they stuck out so far I had a hard time getting the cover over the tanks and I ended up taking them off. Im going to buy the plastic stick on type next for a try.

AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Yeah... what vswingfield said. We do it exactly that way, and have yet to run out of propane in both tanks at once.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
The best way we have found is the " use one tank at a time " solution. Keep the other one turned off until the first on runs dry. After you switch over, start looking for a place to refill.

John
Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Propane Tanks

Running out of propane and having the furnace shut down on a cold night at midnight is enough to convince me to only turn on one tank at a time.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Spring Creek , Nevada
1993 Excella Propane Tank Gauge

So why is this gauge impossible to find? I would like to replace the one on my tanks that is broken to get it back to orriginal?

If anyone has a source let me know?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #21
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruharNV View Post
So why is this gauge impossible to find? I would like to replace the one on my tanks that is broken to get it back to orriginal?

If anyone has a source let me know?

Have you tried talking to Airstream? That looks identical to the ones that came on my 2010 classic.

Ken
Old 04-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #22
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Vts carry these however a little different. Those supplied from cuts cave 2 wires... One goes to ground (one of the 2 screws that hold the sending unit to the tank) the other wire goes to your existing AS wire. I think they are $11
Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Spring Creek , Nevada
VIT Gauges

Thanks Atomic#13 the gauges were a perfect fit and work great. Reasonably priced also.

I didn't realise they were an insert?

Just to clear up some of the confusion on the dual valve setup. I leave both of my tanks open and the valve automatically switches to the tank that is full when the other empties. I just replaced my regulator, valve and hoses as one of them was leaking. Total cost around $75. Spray your regulator, valves and hose connections with Windex and it will show any leaks.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
The best way we have found is the " use one tank at a time " solution. Keep the other one turned off until the first on runs dry. After you switch over, start looking for a place to refill.

John
That is what I do now since I discovered that the gauges on the tanks (and remote indicators inside the trailer which I guess work from the same float sensor) are not very accurate at all.

First time I got an "Empty" tank filled, the fellow filling it told me after filling it that my tank was not empty despite the gauge reading so, but that he was obliged to charge me for a full 30# fill anyway!

So I started running with just one tank open and found I could often run for weeks after the gauge said empty!

Now, the only time I have both tanks open is when we are on the road and I don't want the fridge shutting down en route because one tank has become empty.

Otherwise I just wait until the stove burners won't work any more, then I know a the connected tank is truly empty, make the switch, and get the empty tank filled!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Shreveport , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Thanks for the advice. Running out of propane on a freezing night isn't any fun.
And I'll track down the leak, could have been the pilot on the stove, tanks weren't empty after trailer was sitting nearly three weeks but I was't sure if the smell inside was from the toilet or elsewhere, actually propane is odorless. Could have been the fridge was running on propane off the 12v battery as the switch was probably left on.
Most of the time you can see the propane level in the tank when it gets low. The tank will
Start sweating on the outside. Or you can just put your hand on the tank and move it up and down the tank. You can fell the temperature change of the tank. And that is where you propane level is.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
mcminnville , Oregon
infared temp gauge

I have been waiting for some one to use their "tire" temp gauge to check the temp difference on the propane tanks. i think they are infrared and might be able to tell how much fuel is left. then i could justify the gauge. Klein Tools IR1000. Anybody?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #27
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal50 View Post
I have been waiting for some one to use their "tire" temp gauge to check the temp difference on the propane tanks. i think they are infrared and might be able to tell how much fuel is left. then i could justify the gauge. Klein Tools IR1000. Anybody?
I have an IR thermometer, but haven't try to use it for that. I will though next time I get a chance. My tanks have gauges. That coupled with the trailers monitor panel has served my needs so far.

Ken