Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
SALUDA , North Carolina
Gas valves for each appliance?

I am overhauling a 1965 Safari. Finally able to work on it with the better weather. Belly pan is off, frame has been POR 15 (no rust repairs needed, whew!). Read many post regarding gas lines. My question is where to put the shut offs for each appliance? Inside would be more convenient but that makes two more joints inside the living area for the fridge, furnace and stove. Has the problem with Marshall regulators gone away, or should I consider another brand?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I think it 100% depends on what is easy to get to. Might be hard to work a shut off valve for some appliances at the unit, some not. On our tradewind (69) the water heater is underneith, so is the refrigerator, furnace and range are inside. I think it is really up to you. Can't speak on the regulators....

WBCCI #8671 Oregon Unit
TAC WA-6
Visit our Blog- http://safari8671.blogspot.com

63 PARTS NEEDED

Wally Byam Hooks
Tappan range oven (for spare parts)
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda Guy View Post
I am overhauling a 1965 Safari. Finally able to work on it with the better weather. Belly pan is off, frame has been POR 15 (no rust repairs needed, whew!). Read many post regarding gas lines. My question is where to put the shut offs for each appliance? Inside would be more convenient but that makes two more joints inside the living area for the fridge, furnace and stove. Has the problem with Marshall regulators gone away, or should I consider another brand?
Hi Saluda Guy; It can be expensive and a pain to have that many valves but it may be a blessing on a frigid night when you must have a furnace. You can live one night without hot water or stove when you must shut them down.
While restoring my 26' Argosy I have opted for valves for each appliance for that reason. I would however not place them inside the trailer. All of my valves are in line off the frame on one side but on the outside underneath the trailer. Main gas line can be attached to the frame with retaining support clips. While the valves may not be easily accessible you need to close them only if you are faced with a appliance problem. I have gone nuts on my Argosy with 1/2" SS tubing and fitting. It is overkill but I do not have to worry about collapsed or broken lines. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 03-27-2010, 06:18 AM   #4

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
For safety reasons the valves should be placed on the outside of the trailer. Valves can leak over time and you would not want to fill your trailer with an explosive gas.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I don't think there's a good spot.

One alternative to consider is to carry a couple of caps so that the line to the bad appliance can be capped off (a procedure carried out while the tank valves are off) instead.