Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
David, Lori & Sparky

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Clayton , California
Gas tank cover and tanks fall off

We have never seen this issue before: We were pulling our 23’ 2015 FC and heard a terrible scraping noise. We were on a two lane road and were able to pull over. The propane tank cover and both tanks had fallen off and were dragging by the gas line. The sway bars kept them from going under the trailer. We will have to replace the tank cover ($800) but are lucky it wasn’t worse.

The tanks are held on by one shaft that screws into the base platform and screws down on the top of the tanks. We had the tanks filled by our storage facility. Maybe they unknowing loosened the shaft from the platform? Maybe the really rough CA roads worked it loose? We plan to add a locking washer and nut. We will also check the system before every trip. This seems like a serious design flaw. I hope this post prevents similar problems for others.

David, Lori & Sparky
DavidLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
YIKES!!!!!!!

I bet it was not secured properly when installed.

I will always double-check anything like that done for me. And I will probably do it myself as long as I can lift the tanks on my own.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just so you know, that "serious design flaw" is how about 99% of LP tanks are secured to 99% of all travel trailers. The only ones I am aware of that are different are the ones that are mounted horizontally.
From now on, if nothing else, give a gentle shove to the tanks or cover, and verify they don't wobble around excessively. While not likely, it is possible some smart*ss popped open the cover, and loosened or removed the wing nut securing the tanks. I have personally seen where someone deliberately unlatched the coupler on the tongue, so people are capable of almost anything.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Just so you know, that "serious design flaw" is how about 99% of LP tanks are secured to 99% of all travel trailers. The only ones I am aware of that are different are the ones that are mounted horizontally.
From now on, if nothing else, give a gentle shove to the tanks or cover, and verify they don't wobble around excessively. While not likely, it is possible some smart*ss popped open the cover, and loosened or removed the wing nut securing the tanks. I have personally seen where someone deliberately unlatched the coupler on the tongue, so people are capable of almost anything.

Yeah, as silly as it might seem, I keep a LOCK on my tongue latch on any trailer I tow to keep some a hole from doing that to me.

Though, with the tounge weight of a typical airstream, or RV, it will likely have enough force to keep it on the ball.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
IMO rough rds. caused tanks to fal It happened to me 2 yrs. ago and last yr. I caught 1st one before all way to ground second not so lucky, drug long enough to severely grind one side of ring on bottom, hose kept from going under but damaged banana wrap. I now use rubber mallet to tighten more. Illinois rds are in bad condition to say the least. In 60 yrs. of towing never happened before. I always check tanks when hooking up, also door hinges have been breaking, no change in hitch set up or any other changes so IMO rds. are cause. I have never let any one near my propane tanks except to fill and I take them off and on.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote