Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
gas line road clearance

Recently acquired a 66 Caravel. I was underneath it trying to get an idea of how to remove some of the belly skin (still not sure) to access some floor rot when I noticed the gas line had less than 7 inches of road clearance where it passes around the axle. Am I mistaken in thinking that it's kind of vulnerable? Are they all like that?
uncledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
My gas lines passed under the axles against the belly pan. i think someone has replaced yours improperly.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Mine go under my axles. Plenty of clearance. Sounds like that you need to replace those old axles. The torsion rubber has 'collapsed'.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I always wondered why airstream didnt hide those gas lines inside the belly pan? Its not like you ever have to service them? I find it strange that even on my classic the lines are just screwed to the lower skin.

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
I always wondered why airstream didnt hide those gas lines inside the belly pan? Its not like you ever have to service them? I find it strange that even on my classic the lines are just screwed to the lower skin.
LPG lines must be exposed as per RVDA.

Reduces the chance of an explosion.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Also, no other fittings are permited inside the coach except at the appliance, meaning no "T's" as an example.

Some shops have "Teed" into an LPG line inside the coach for a LPG lamp.

NO NO.

It's against the code.

Andy
Old 11-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Ok... but there is a considerable amount of line inside the trailer aswell. So this rule would then apply to all RV's.. any make or model. I didnt know that. I know that my Winnebago had a tank underneath and the lines quickly went up into the coach.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledan View Post
Recently acquired a 66 Caravel. I was underneath it trying to get an idea of how to remove some of the belly skin (still not sure) to access some floor rot when I noticed the gas line had less than 7 inches of road clearance where it passes around the axle. Am I mistaken in thinking that it's kind of vulnerable? Are they all like that?
Here are pictures of the gas line I meant to include
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gasline1.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	116137   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasline2.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	116138  

Old 11-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Here are pictures of the gas line I meant to include
The LPG line location in your photo should be immediately corrected.

It most certainly is way way out of position.

Part of the reason Airstream installed the LPG line over the axle tube was because of the short axle mounting bracket.

One inch was added to the axle mounting bracket height starting with the 1969 models, which then provide adequate clearance to install the LPG lines under the axle tube, near each side of the frame.

By the way, it appears from your photo, that you should check your axle out, as it seems that the rubber rods may have failed.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
good eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The LPG line location in your photo should be immediately corrected.

It most certainly is way way out of position.

Part of the reason Airstream installed the LPG line over the axle tube was because of the short axle mounting bracket.

One inch was added to the axle mounting bracket height starting with the 1969 models, which then provide adequate clearance to install the LPG lines under the axle tube, near each side of the frame.

By the way, it appears from your photo, that you should check your axle out, as it seems that the rubber rods may have failed.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Thanks Andy
The guy who sold the Caravel to us suggested we might want to get the axle replaced due to its age, so I kinda thought that might be on the to do list.

So the gas line should be rerouted to go between the axle and the belly skin?
And what did you spot on the picture that gave away the fact that the axle might need replacing?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy
The guy who sold the Caravel to us suggested we might want to get the axle replaced due to its age, so I kinda thought that might be on the to do list.

So the gas line should be rerouted to go between the axle and the belly skin?
And what did you spot on the picture that gave away the fact that the axle might need replacing?
The new axles will allow the LPG line to go on top of the square tube, because of the one inch increase in it's height.

The position of the "torsion arm" tells the condition of the rubber rods. If it's parallel to the chassis or the rear end of the torsion arm is going uphill, then that says that the rubber rods have deteriorated to the degree that they are no longer doing the job that they must do for a torsion axle.

The result of failed rubber rods, is that the trailer will bottom out when hitting bumps. That has a large negative effect on the shell and the contents of the trailer.

The exception being when the weight is removed from the tire. The tire should drop about 3 inches, telling you that the rubber rods are ok.

Many posts on this Forums, from other owners, will bear that out.

Andy
Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Thank you Andy

Can any place that works on trailers replace the axle or should it be an Airstream dealer?
Is replacing/rerouting the gas line something I could try to tackle myself or is it something best left to a professional?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thank you Andy

Can any place that works on trailers replace the axle or should it be an Airstream dealer?
Is replacing/rerouting the gas line something I could try to tackle myself or is it something best left to a professional?
Changing out the axle, in your case, would require a drill, a 1/2 inch drill bit and a couple of wrenches.

The shock mounting brackets can be welded in place before the axle is lifted into place.

You may find the copper LPG lines have annealed, as they usually do in time. You can easily replace all those lines, if you so chose.

You would need a jack, 2 jack stands, and a helper to lift the new axle in place.

Andy
Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I replaced the axle on my 65 Safari and purchased it from Andy. It was not too hard of a job. It took me half a day. I did have to drill a couple of new holes in the mounting bracket but that was not too bad. I jacked up the trailer and used two car jacks to position the new axle. Toughest part of the job for me was getting the old bolts out. A torch would have made that part a snap. Bottom line is the trailer gained about 3 inches of clearance and rides so smooth that a coffee cup did not even slide off the kitchen cupboard after 50+ miles. I did run my gas line up and over the new axle....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
welding?

Thanks for the info Tim.
Andy mentioned that the "shock mounting brackets can be welded in place". I can drill and use a wrench but welding is not a skill that I have in my tool bag. So my question is - is welding required or an option?
Dan
Old 12-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Quote:
Thanks for the info Tim.
Andy mentioned that the "shock mounting brackets can be welded in place". I can drill and use a wrench but welding is not a skill that I have in my tool bag. So my question is - is welding required or an option?
Dan
Dan, The following is a post I just added to another thread. It should make things really simple for you as your AS is so short. You can read a bunch of threads and post on shocks but I'm convinced that they are not needed on smaller AS. You decide....Tim - TAC 14.

I installed a new henschen axle on my 65 Safari last spring. After several phone calls to Airstream Service Tecs. I was told I did not need the shocks. If fact, Airstream no longer uses them on 25' and under. Umm! All of the other manufactures do not use them with torsion axles. Something to do with the shock transfering some of the force into the axle. In any case the experts told me I didn't need them.....Tim - TAC MI 14

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for the info Tim.
Dan
Dan.

As with anything, the shock useage choice is yours.

You could, if you wish, take the axle to a welder and have the brackets installed to match their placement on the old axle.

We recommend that they be installed, since they are a motion restrictor.

There is no proof that they hurt anything, but there is proof that shocks that they can and do help. We do not go along with the size of the trailer has anything to do with the choice.

Andy
Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Axle mounting bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Changing out the axle, in your case, would require a drill, a 1/2 inch drill bit and a couple of wrenches.

The shock mounting brackets can be welded in place before the axle is lifted into place.

You may find the copper LPG lines have annealed, as they usually do in time. You can easily replace all those lines, if you so chose.

You would need a jack, 2 jack stands, and a helper to lift the new axle in place.

Andy
On all the axles I have replaced,5/8 bolts were required,finally decided a 5/8 hole saw was the easiest way to drill out the new holes.Just removed the pilot and it was an easy process,sure beat fighting a drill bit,and didn`t have to keep increasing the bit size. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote