Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
Gas leak?

I am a new owner of a 30 ft. 2001 slide out, 70th anniversary model. To make a long story short, the gas detector went off. I soaped all the fittings everywhere. I finally figured out that the only time we smelled gas, was when the water heater was running on gas. I took apart the burner, checked the burner for dirt,spider webs, etc, found nothing. No leaks. Looking at the unit the combustion is outside and odors should not come into the bathroom. It is fine when the water heater is off. Does anyone got any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Vagabond Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Propane detectors have a limited life and yours is now 13 years old. My guess is that it is in need of replacement. Why it goes off only with the water heater is a good question of course. Any possibility that the heater is close enough to the slide out so a leaking slide seal is letting something in? But propane leaks outside, affecting a detector inside does not make sense either.

First replace the propane detector and see if that cures the issue. It probably will.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
It's possible that the detector is giving you a fault code, rather than detecting propane.

Being that it's so old, it probably doesn't have colored LED lights on the face like newer detectors so that you could use a combination of alarm sound sequence and LED color+flash sequence to troubleshoot the reason for the alarm sound. Which is one more reason to replace it with a newer detector.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
Thank you for the responses. The detector is three years old. The real problem is it stinks. You smell it in the bathroom. I don't get how the Odor can penetrate the bathroom.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Apologies. I automatically assumed that since the trailer is 13 years old, so was the detector. My mistake.

If you smell propane anywhere in the trailer, then pay attention to the alarm and get out of the trailer. Don't go back in until you shut off the propane and the alarm quits sounding. Worrying about how the propane is getting into the bathroom is a secondary concern right now.

The detector will sound when propane reaches about 10% of the lower explosive limit. But at that point, it's already a health hazard to breathe the stuff; propane causes nervous system damage.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Bob View Post
I am a new owner of a 30 ft. 2001 slide out, 70th anniversary model. To make a long story short, the gas detector went off. I soaped all the fittings everywhere. I finally figured out that the only time we smelled gas, was when the water heater was running on gas. I took apart the burner, checked the burner for dirt,spider webs, etc, found nothing. No leaks. Looking at the unit the combustion is outside and odors should not come into the bathroom. It is fine when the water heater is off. Does anyone got any ideas?

Be careful. You would be best off having someone familiar with working with propane, who has a portable leak detector, check it.

You probably have a leak in the connection between the line to the burner and the valve body, or possibly between the line and the orifice. I'm assuming from your description that you have a newer water heater with spark ignition, if not, the pilot light line may be leaking also.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, if you smell it there is a leak that you have not found.

May be time for the professionals now.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If you smell it, it can mess you up... Permanently.

Get it to a shop. Now!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Btw.. Where are you? Your profile not complete enough for anyone to offr to swing by for a look at the potential leak ...
Old 07-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
I am in Salida Colorado. I guess I need to find out how to add to my information. I am a little embarrassed to ask for help with this problem. When I grew up my father was in the propane business. I guess I forgot a lot. or the propane has got to me and that is the reason that I am the way I am. You guys got me thinking, and that is good. The detector the Oder are not there if you don't light the water heater. Yes it is a self igniter. I will keep you guys posted. I do have to change my profile and figure that out. It was easier when I was younger I guess.......

Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Great, Bob! Just click on the link near top left.. "User CP"
Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member