Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Gas Lamps Illegal?

I have my 58 Overlander in the shop getting some renovations and the man working on it wants to remove the copper pipe to my gas lamp. (original) saying that those types of lamps were illegal. This was news to me, especially since I see several threads about people asking maintenance questions.
Before I let him do something drastic, I thought I would check here for some enlightenment.
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I have never heard that. And even if he's correct who appointed him the enforcer? Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If they were illegal, they wouldn't still be available for sale:
HUMPHREY GAS PRODUCTS - PROPANE GAS LIGHTS
Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
May not be illegal but from what I understand they put out a lot of heat! Has anyone converted on to a LED " look alike"?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Even if by some chance it is illegal where you are, they have a nice vinatage look. In fact I have one I have been threatening to install one.
Do you have a propane and a carbon monoxide detector?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Gas lamps do not comply with current safety standard. However, they did in 1958. You're grandfsthered in on the gas lamp. It's still legal for you to keep, maintain and use your gas lamp. You just have to be aware that the lamp can leak gas, puts out CO2 and can be a fire hazard.
I'd keep the lamp and enjoy it.
The major problem I had with my old gas lamp was the mantles. They almost alway broke when the trailer was under way. I used to keep about 20 spares on board to keep the lamp working.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I rented a houseboat in the mid 90's up in International Falls Minnesota at Voyager National Park. It had gas lamps for the main interior lights. They gave me a bag of mantels since it was quite normal of the mantels to sometimes break when traveling on rough water.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Rogue River , Oregon
We have one in our 1970 and when it is cold it is nice to have and puts out lots of light. There are other gas line connections in all trailers and they all have to be checked for leaks. We are building in Baja and are using new propane lights there because we are in a solar home. Lots of cabins use them to.
geezernbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
A number of states passed laws in the mid-1970s making the use of decorative outdoor gas lighting unlawful. In those days, post-mounted outdoor gas lights were a popular architectural accent, and were typically left on 24 hours a day. I don't know about the laws in other states, but the Minnesota law is specific to decorative, outdoor fixtures and doesn't cover indoor lighting or lighting that is primarily utilitarian such as lights in areas where electricity is not available.

Some gas techs mistakenly believe that these laws cover indoor lighting.

The gas lights currently being sold by Mr. Heater and others are in compliance with current safety regulations and bear both AGA and CSA seals of approval. I don't know what the regulatory status is of older lights but the only meaningful difference between the 1950s lamps and the ones sold today is that the new ones have a supposedly child-proof lever that you have to push and turn while the old ones do not.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Thanks everyone. I had wondered about the grandfathering. The lamp has all the parts and the past owner went to a lot of trouble to find a proper shade for it. I was for sure going to keep it for the look, but I think the functionality could come in handy some day. Not to mention when I sell it, someone might wish I had left it alone.
Appreciate your replies.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ever been in an old order Amish home? They've got Kerosene or Propane lamps ONLY.

Paula

(Oh and following some process I'm not quite up on, many now carry Cell phones.... Used to be they'd have a pay phone in the outhouse REALLY! For communal use in the event of a medical emergency. Usually that meant 3 generations of a family or two sharing one phone line. Now with most wired phone networks being replaced by the cloud, it's a cell phone or nothing. They stick with "plain" by having only black phones.)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Ever been in an old order Amish home? They've got Kerosene or Propane lamps ONLY.

Paula

(Oh and following some process I'm not quite up on, many now carry Cell phones.... Used to be they'd have a pay phone in the outhouse REALLY! For communal use in the event of a medical emergency. Usually that meant 3 generations of a family or two sharing one phone line. Now with most wired phone networks being replaced by the cloud, it's a cell phone or nothing. They stick with "plain" by having only black phones.)
I can see it now, an Airstream painted black, being pulled by a team of horses.... Amish vacation!
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Gas Lamps Illegal?

I don't know whether this is an "old wives tale" or something that might really work. When I first started Airstreaming in 1995, a couple of long-time Vintage owners (one had owner her '64 Ambassador since it was new), advised me that the LP Gas Lamp mantles could be protected by tying a large bandanna around the globe and base of the lamp. I have never had an LP Gas Lamp in either of my Airstreams, but I suspect that tying the bandanna around the globe and the base to which it attaches would limit some of the vibration between the glass globe and base.

My family's first RV, a 1969 SunWay truck camper had one LP Gas Lamp as standard equipment. An LP Gas Lamp was an option on the 1980 Nomad that I special ordered in 1980. We automatically assumed that we would need to replace the mantle after traveling any distance, particularly in the truck camper.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California

"May not be illegal but from what I understand they put out a lot of heat! Has anyone converted on to a LED " look alike"?"

The heat in the winter is a BIG plus and a good reason for keeping the gas light gas. Sometimes the gas light heat is sufficient by itself to make the trailer comfortable.

Putting a zip lock bag up from the bottom when traveling will catch the broken pieces of mantle knocked loose by road vibration.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Paula

I was told that (at least in PA) the Amish are required by law to have 1 electric light in the house.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I use my gas lamp a great deal. It requires zero electric, comes in very handy during boon docking, and heats the trailer nicely in cold weather. During warm weather we open the astrodome and all the heat from the gas lamp goes right out. If it is illegal, I am going to continue to break the law.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
I was told that (at least in PA) the Amish are required by law to have 1 electric light in the house.
Most Amish who maintain dairy farms have electric in the barns - for the milking parlor. In order to sell dairy products to the public, hand milking has been outlawed since the 60's. The Amish need to sell what they produce - so they use electric milking equipment.

Most houses also have a large bell mounted on a pole in the yard - ringing it frantically will bring all of the neighbors within earshot. It's a curious mixture of technologies from three centuries apart.

Paula
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It isn't that the Amish don't use electricity. Where it is allowed by the community. They simply generate their own. Some even drive cars believe it or not. Since it is illegal to sell raw milk, the majority of the milk produced by the Amish goes to making cheese.
How did we get from gas lights in a travel trailer to discussing the Amish?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
gas lamps to Amish = free flowing thought? If ever questioned by authorities, I will know to claim that I am Amish.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I bought a mantle for our gas lamp, and turned it on. I like that it's not super bright like other mantle lamps, at least not uncomfortably so. The mantle self destructed driving from where I store the trailer to my home, about a mile on come curvy roads, so I'm going to carry spares. I'd use it in a pinch, more for ambiance, and probably with skylight cracked to let fumes out. Regarding gas lamps in residence, at least California doesn't allow outdoor lamps because of energy use, but I still see them in Rhode Island. Years ago, I worked for an antique lighting restorer, and we had a number of gas/electric combo fixtures for sale. It was illegal, technically, to re-install the gas lamp to work on gas, but the parts were around to do it. The old gas-cocks could be difficult to turn off completely if they hadn't been used in decades, and this was one concern I had about the fixture in the trailer. I made sure the lamp in my trailer would go off reliably! That said, I think gas light is cool, have always wanted to see what it looked like and was stoked to have one in the trailer.