Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Ever been in an old order Amish home? They've got Kerosene or Propane lamps ONLY.

Paula

(Oh and following some process I'm not quite up on, many now carry Cell phones.... Used to be they'd have a pay phone in the outhouse REALLY! For communal use in the event of a medical emergency. Usually that meant 3 generations of a family or two sharing one phone line. Now with most wired phone networks being replaced by the cloud, it's a cell phone or nothing. They stick with "plain" by having only black phones.)
I was told that (at least in PA) the Amish are required by law to have 1 electric light in the house.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I use my gas lamp a great deal. It requires zero electric, comes in very handy during boon docking, and heats the trailer nicely in cold weather. During warm weather we open the astrodome and all the heat from the gas lamp goes right out. If it is illegal, I am going to continue to break the law.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
I was told that (at least in PA) the Amish are required by law to have 1 electric light in the house.
Most Amish who maintain dairy farms have electric in the barns - for the milking parlor. In order to sell dairy products to the public, hand milking has been outlawed since the 60's. The Amish need to sell what they produce - so they use electric milking equipment.

Most houses also have a large bell mounted on a pole in the yard - ringing it frantically will bring all of the neighbors within earshot. It's a curious mixture of technologies from three centuries apart.

Paula
Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It isn't that the Amish don't use electricity. Where it is allowed by the community. They simply generate their own. Some even drive cars believe it or not. Since it is illegal to sell raw milk, the majority of the milk produced by the Amish goes to making cheese.
How did we get from gas lights in a travel trailer to discussing the Amish?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
gas lamps to Amish = free flowing thought? If ever questioned by authorities, I will know to claim that I am Amish.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
I bought a mantle for our gas lamp, and turned it on. I like that it's not super bright like other mantle lamps, at least not uncomfortably so. The mantle self destructed driving from where I store the trailer to my home, about a mile on come curvy roads, so I'm going to carry spares. I'd use it in a pinch, more for ambiance, and probably with skylight cracked to let fumes out. Regarding gas lamps in residence, at least California doesn't allow outdoor lamps because of energy use, but I still see them in Rhode Island. Years ago, I worked for an antique lighting restorer, and we had a number of gas/electric combo fixtures for sale. It was illegal, technically, to re-install the gas lamp to work on gas, but the parts were around to do it. The old gas-cocks could be difficult to turn off completely if they hadn't been used in decades, and this was one concern I had about the fixture in the trailer. I made sure the lamp in my trailer would go off reliably! That said, I think gas light is cool, have always wanted to see what it looked like and was stoked to have one in the trailer.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Since it is illegal to sell raw milk, the majority of the milk produced by the Amish goes to making cheese.
How did we get from gas lights in a travel trailer to discussing the Amish?
In PA, it is not illegal to sell raw milk. it is also not illegal in SC. twenty eight states permit raw milk sales. We buy raw milk from neighbors; you'd be surprised at how many nutrients are killed off during pasteurization. Reading the history of why we outlawed raw milk is interesting...

And since you asked....

you might as well read up on what is in our milk these days. Due to rGBH being fed to cows, (bovine growth hormone, designed to make cows produce more - illigal in most 1st world countries except US) more puss ends up in milk making pasteurization something you definitely want from commercially produced milk...

Alternatives? buy organic milk. it lasts longer, too due to UHT pasteurization. or buy local raw milk, and if you're concerned about consuming raw milk, heat it to 145 F for 30 min. or go to canada and import your milk.

to be on topic here: we will be adding gas lamps to our 57 because of the info i learned from this thread. thanks!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
That's good news. I grew up drinking raw milk. Just loved spooning the cream off and eating it.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
re: milk, a consultant I use lives off the grid and keeps goats. He brought me a quart of goat's milk... it was amazing. I "got" the fresh milk thing.

Now to install my new lamp mantle....