Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Longview , Texas
Gas connection for propane

We have an international Onxy 25FB. On the front of the trailer is a gas line stubbed out with a quick disconnect. What is this for, possible connection of a grill gas line. I thought this might be just that but where can one get the quick connect fitting that will screw on to the gas line for the propane tank.
Wayne Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
A propane gas grill & fireplace shop that refills propane bottles. You should drive your International to the shop so they can match the correct fittings for you. They should be able to make longer hoses so you can get your grill farther away from your unit as a safety precaution.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I got all my connections at a place that sold Webber grills (i.e., not a hardware store, but a store that specialized in selling outdoor BBQ equipment.)
Old 05-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I found a 10' Camco 57282 hose with male/female fittings on Amazon. I had to modify the BBQ to remove the regulator since the AS connection is regulated.
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
It is my understanding that the gas quick connect that you see is for an RV BBG/grill. The gas line is connected after the pressure regulator . Therefore, it is not possible to connect another propane device like a grill or fireplace that is equipped with its own regulalator. You would have two regulators working in line.....
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
sorry. NWRVR is right. How did you do that and maintain the ability to adjust the gas flow at the grill?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
There are small gas grills on the market that do not have regulators. Weber is not one of them however, I've talked with people who have removed the regulator from the weber & made it work. FYI, the regulator reduces the gas flow pressure as it enters the flame area of the grill making it safe to use. Without the regulator it would be like a flame thrower. On the Airstream & other RV's with this quick connect feature it is always downline from the 30 LB gas bottles regulator, making it safe to use. If you attach a grill that already has a regulator it further reduces the gas pressure to the point of almost not working because the pressure is to low. Google RV Gas Grills and you'll find unregulated grills.
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
sorry. NWRVR is right. How did you do that and maintain the ability to adjust the gas flow at the grill?
I bought a Cusinart gas grill that had the regulator attached to the gas flame control valve and was able to unscrew the regulator and then screw in a Camco 5993 male quick connect (Amazon) that worked perfectly. It takes 10 lbs of pressure to open and operate a regulator and you only have 1/2 lbs on the downstream side of a regulator hence the need to remove the gas grill regulator.

We did not care for the grills that are made for RVs sans regulator therefore the need to modify the one we wanted.
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I carry a gas grill that runs off that port. I can also power both of my Honda EU2000i generators (converted to trifuel) from that port. I use either Camco or MB Sturgis model 250 low pressure propane quick disconnect connectors. The port that came on my EB25 is a Sturgis. The grill I use was $99 from Sam's club. The regulator on it used a 1/4" brass pipe thread connector to join it to the hose that went on to the grill. I unscrewed the regulator, screwed on a male Sturgis 250 and voila! I was cooking with gas. The 10' quick disconnect hose extension that Camco makes allows me extra distance for grill or generator placement. Although I have never tried this (and make no representation on it's safety!) I believe I can use that set up backward so that if I ever run out of propane on board, I could hook up an external 20 lb LP bottle like you find under a gas grill with a regulator (I carry two bottles and two regulators for the generators) and fuel the AS.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Marshal has a pick list chart of all the parts it takes to do what you might want to do. They tried to make it goof proof. When it comes to the hose coming from the RV Gas Bottles they have a 12 foot hose. You can get a shorter one from Wal-mart but I don't think that being any closer that 12 feet would be good. There pictures are like this
Old 05-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
See page 24 in the August 2014 Blue Beret magazine (go to WBCCI website, under Magazines, select Blue Beret Archives) for an article on just this subject. Sorry, I'm too new to the forum to post a full link.

In a nutshell. You can have a second regulator as long as the output pressure requirements of the second regulator is less than the incoming pressure.

You will need to find a grill which requires less than 11" WC or 0.4 PSI, very low pressure. They are available, I've seen some for sale in the Campers World flyer I received in the mail just today. Note, this is not an endorsement of Camping World.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
I saw a response on this forum a short time ago that stated that an accessory kit that came with the Airstream (2013+) contains a short (5' or 6") hose with a quick-connect to fit the aux port on the trailer tongue. My trailer is a 2012 and thus does not have this feature so I can't verify whether or not that is true.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
I'm hoping to connect my tri-fuel inverter/generator to the propane tanks this way. Anyone think I can't ?
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You can, I did
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
See my post above. I run 2 Honda 2000s simultaneously from mine. Enough to AC my trailer
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Longview , Texas
Thanks to each of your for your responses. I found the post from greghoro most helpful. His post read: See page 24 in the August 2014 Blue Beret magazine (go to WBCCI website, under Magazines, select Blue Beret Archives) for an article on just this subject. Sorry, I'm too new to the forum to post a full link.

In a nutshell. You can have a second regulator as long as the output pressure requirements of the second regulator is less than the incoming pressure.

I researched this and found a hose which fits both the airstream quick disconnect and the weber grill to be available from mbsturgis.com. This company is the manufacturer of the hose that comes with the quick disconnect which comes with the airstream trailer when purchased. The onpy problem with that is it does not have the proper adapter for the weber type grill, one which will fit both the quick disconnect on the airstream and the and the weber grill is available through them under their part number SKU: 100476. Thanks again for all you guys help
Old 05-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Longview , Texas
I am still uncertain of the ability to use the portable grill through the regulator located at the propane bottles and the regulator on the gas grill as well. I can't see why you can't but then again as i am getting conflicting views I have written airstream and will see what they have to say then report back. If it is the i have to take the regulator off then i will just continue carrying a propane bottle
Old 05-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I have connected propane fireplace and grill directly to the AS tanks before with no problem. The use of the "quick connect" is what complicates the issue. Greg's explanation clears up the the mystery of the double regulator story. I look at grills a different way perhaps, "which grill do I want to cook with?" Then "can I connect it to the low pressure quick connect or not?" If I cannot, then get a long hose , portable tank or a combination of both. To me it's all about the grill first.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
BTW this is a "killer grill"

http://rasmussensolairestore.com/sto...p?idCategory=6
Old 05-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
They sell a kit for the quick connect. I ordered one to see if it's worth it....