Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Gas Accessory tee

I am not sure why I am stewing over this little mod, but I think I'll ask for advice, in case I'm missing some good idea. I have a propane "Campfire in a Can" and have been carrying an extra 20# propane tank to fuel it. I am going on an AS diet to lose some weight and gain space and I gotta lose the 20# cylinder.

I will need an extension hose, but how much depends on where I tap into the propane supply on the AS.

Should I:

1) Just disconnect the ACME connector from the reserve AS bottle and get a long extension?

2) Tap into the connector at the regulator exit and lose the regulator on the campfire? (with an extension line)

3) Tap into the copper gas line amidships and install some sort of quick connect and lose the campfire regulator?

Could you knowledgeable "gassy" folks suggest a parts list and some links for the AS pieces as well as the campfire pieces?

Anything else I'm missing?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The safest thing to do is just use the spare gas bottle. You can put a T in the copper line wherever you want to but you have to think about capping it off. There are some aerospace grade quick connectors that would work but are probably not worth the expense. My trailer has the stove next to the door and that would be a good place to tap into the system. You can use a gas shutoff valve to isolate but you will need to cap the valve as well for safety and to keep mud dobbers out of it.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Your "Campfire in a Can" has it's own regulator since you can connect it directly to a 20# bottle. Connecting it down stream from the regulator on the AS will probably affect the operation of the unit. I would look for something else to jettison instead of the 20# bottle.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm leaning toward this method:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ill-19607.html (post#4)

McMaster-Carr (25' hose)

McMaster-Carr (closed fittings)

I haven't worked out all the specifics, but is this a good start?
Connector would be under cover and protected from the elements, and away from the underbelly.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Your "Campfire in a Can" has it's own regulator since you can connect it directly to a 20# bottle. Connecting it down stream from the regulator on the AS will probably affect the operation of the unit. I would look for something else to jettison instead of the 20# bottle.
I would remove the Campfire regulator, they work on the same pressure as the AS regulator

Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
If you connect downstream from the existing regulator you will need to modify your appliance to not use its regulator. It may work without doing this but may not work properly. I would (and have the parts and same idea to do the same) have a tee installed at the tanks on the trailer. That way you have full flow from the tank to ANY outside accessory you want and do not have to figure out the pressure needed. All parts and great advice is available from a propane supply store - I got my info and advice from a Blossman Gas dealer. The tee, quick connect and new fitting for the tank was about $30 - I got gas at the same time so it was a blur of money. They would do the work but it is a DYI if you are careful check for leaks. This keeps the attachment from under the camper and out front. Hoses are not that bad and much lighter than the tank you use now.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
dznf0g... always good to hear from you.

I struggled for a while with the same question though in my case it's to run a propane grill. I tried a couple of things.

The first thing I did is get an 8' hose with an ACME connection on one end and a fitting on the other end to match the grill. My grill uses those disposable 1-pound cylinders so it has that kind of thread. But it doesn't really matter, there are adapters to go back and forth:

Camco RV Portable Campfire

The idea was that I'd disconnect one of the 40# cylinders, run the furnace and whatever else on the other one, and just hook up the hose to the 40# cylinder valve.

It didn't really work out. The hose wasn't long enough. It was a pain to hook up because there isn't much clearance in there, and you have to remember to switch the regulator to the other tank because otherwise it will leak gas when you disconnect the pigtail. Worst of all, I couldn't let either tank run out completely. That's hard to do unless you just don't use much propane.

So I got one of the extend-a-flow kits. You have to look around to find one with ACME threads, and it's important to get the kind with a 90 degree turn built into it since they fit better. Tweety's has them:

Marshall Brass Acme Extend-A-Flow Tee Adapter

It fits on my right tank without any modifications. I generally set the regulator to use the left tank first. If the right tank is less than 3/4 full or so when I refuel, I either have the dealer top it off too or move it to the left side so that I always start with a full tank on the right. As a result I only need one tee.

To put a tee on the left side would require installation of a longer pigtail hose on the regulator because the tee has to point a certain way for the auxiliary outlet to point up.

The tee comes with a brass cap with a gasket, which I install whenever I remove the hose. That way there's no concern about any leaks that the spring-loaded valve might develop (they sometimes do get them).

I got a 12' hose this time which works for me. When I'm using the hose I route it down inside the tank enclosure. There's enough clearance to attach it to the tee without excessive bending. The 12' hoses are readily available, and you can connect two or more of them end-to-end if you need more length.

Overall this arrangement has worked out for me. There are two inherent problems with high-pressure propane hoses though that you have to be aware of:

1) The longer hoses will hold a considerable amount of propane, enough to pose a safety hazard during storage. So you have to bleed them by shutting off the tank valve and running the appliance for a while, until the gas is used up.

2) The hoses can fill with liquid propane if you leave them connected overnight while not in use. What happens is that the hose cools faster than the tank, and so the tank pressure is high enough to make propane condense in the hose. That can make the regulator on your grill or campfire in a can or whatever to frost up and behave badly. The fix is to disconnect the hose at the tank end when you're done with it for the evening.

I've used the low-pressure quick connect systems in stick houses over the years and they work great but take some effort to install and get right. The main problem is that you have to be sure that the quick connect has enough physical support to withstand the hose pulling on it since eventually people or dogs will trip over it and these connectors don't have a breakaway feature (they should). As noted upthread you have to remove the regulator on the appliance you use, which can be problematic for appliances that use a nonstandard regulator. If you have something that uses a lot of gas you may exceed what the piping on the trailer can deliver without reducing the gas pressure to the furnace, range, and fridge.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
If you connect downstream from the existing regulator you will need to modify your appliance to not use its regulator. It may work without doing this but may not work properly. I would (and have the parts and same idea to do the same) have a tee installed at the tanks on the trailer. That way you have full flow from the tank to ANY outside accessory you want and do not have to figure out the pressure needed. All parts and great advice is available from a propane supply store - I got my info and advice from a Blossman Gas dealer. The tee, quick connect and new fitting for the tank was about $30 - I got gas at the same time so it was a blur of money. They would do the work but it is a DYI if you are careful check for leaks. This keeps the attachment from under the camper and out front. Hoses are not that bad and much lighter than the tank you use now.
Clancy, could you shoot some pics of your parts?

Old 11-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, Jammer. Where have you been....haven't seem many postings....and more importantly, what handy clever little mods have you been doing?

I can see that that connector may be the answer. Now have you ever seen pieces and parts (or an assembly) for a 25 - 30' extension hose with a male Acme fitting on one end and a female Acme fitting on the other?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I just ran T off the regulated side of the gas line at the regulator and connected a hose with a shut-off and a quick-connect coupling. The hose stays coiled up inside the LP tank cover. I run my BBQ and generator off it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6110008.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	146271  
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Disregard Post #9, I misread.

Found the pieces I need to do Jammer's high pressure rig.

Found this fitting at the bottom of the page (steak saver)

Propane accessories and hookups for barbecue gas grills

With this connector I can connect to the campfire and by removing it I can connect to my grill without modifying either.

I knew if I talked this through with ya'll, I'd get it figured out.

Thanks to all.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
These are the rest of the pieces:

90° Propane Tee with 12' LP Hose #59143
12' Propane Extension Hose #59043
5' Propane Extension Hose #59045