Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Furnace Vent - How Hot? And Ducting?

Hello,

I'm in the process of renovating our '79 Excella and have a question about venting the exhaust from our furnace...

How hot does the exhaust actually get?

During the renovation, I moved the furnace to a location where the exhaust vent from the furnace doesn't line up with the outside wall of the trailer, so I need to find suitable ducting that I can route from the furnace exhaust to an outside exhaust port.

Would something like this work?

The description from the website says: "It also is perfect venting and exhaust applications" but I'm not sure if this applies to furnace exhaust applications. Temperature rating is "UL rated operating temperature: -20°F up to 180°F".

Is this safe to use for my furnace application? Don't want to start a fire next time I turn on the heat!
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
No, don't use it. The furnace vent is NOT designed to be changed or extended from the original system that Suburban designed and supplied with it. The internal fan which supplies the combustion air and exhausts the gasses is very carefully set up for a specific type and length of air path.

This is a life and safety issue. Do not modify the original exhaust system.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote