Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
https://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
Furnace Sputters and Doesn't Stay On

Hello,

I have a 2013 International Signature 27FB.

Last night my furnace was working normally and switched off when it reached the correct temperature but then just before bed I heard it attempt to switch on however it soon switched off.

The fan started but sputtered (sounded like a car which was having a hard time turning over) and then finally came on after the third try. The fan stayed on for about five to ten seconds (not sure if the heat actually came on) and then whole thing switched off.

I tried to get it going again later but the same thing happened. It was late so I didn't have time to troubleshoot and this morning once I turned the thermostat up it switched on as normal but again turned off after about ten seconds.

I checked the propane which is fine (the stove and hot water heater work) but didn't have much time to tinker with anything else as I had to get to work where I am now.

Anybody out there have a similar problem or any ideas what could be the issue? I'd like to get some ideas so I can check it out when I get back after work before I call a repair guy out.

Thanks for your help!

John
Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Ideas:

Low battery voltage and or converter issues. Position of the Use/Store switch.

Fan motor bearing issues, fan motor not moving fast enough to operate the sail switch.

Sail switch issues.

Then there is always a possibility of some problems with the ignitor board or gas valve.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Ideas:

Low battery voltage and or converter issues. Position of the Use/Store switch.

Fan motor bearing issues, fan motor not moving fast enough to operate the sail switch.

Sail switch issues.

Then there is always a possibility of some problems with the ignitor board or gas valve.
Good list! I'll add two more

Water in the propane line - it comes out of propane and settles in the lowest place which might well be the line to the furnace. If you disconnect the line and really yucky smelling liquid comes out, properly reconnect and re-test.

Mud Daubers / spiders - there are tiny propane loving spiders that can get in the line and clog it, and mud daubers often build their nests IN the exterior furnace vents (Check this at night when it's chilly - they get nasty when it's daylight and hot.

Paula
Old 03-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Does your furnace have a fault code light behind the access panel?

Might want to check furnace manual.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Obstruction in the intake air.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips...I'll check on these when I get home...hopefully it's something simple.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #7

Just an update...doesn't appear to be anything obviously wrong...no obstructions, propane is fine, battery is charged, no insects or rodents living in there...I suspect it's a sail switch issue since I don't hear any ignition sound...I'll have someone check it out and keep you posted if it's anything unusual. Thanks, John
Old 03-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
You may have more than one problem. The "fan sputtering" symptom could not be caused by the sail switch.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:44 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Sacramento , California
Gas Heater

I had a similar experience on our 2013 31 Classic. The heater started to go on then shut off. This happened over and over. We tried several things, but to make a long story short it was the propane regulator. It was not supplying the required volume of propane to keep the heater running. The authorized Airstream repairman tested the gas flow by testing pressure at the gas stove. The regulator and labor was covered under warranty and we were good to go. Airstream wanted the regulator before we were paid.
bretharte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I just reread your original post regarding the "fan sputtering", but then you wrote that it "came on after the third try". Are you sure you are not describing ignition of the propane?
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Maybe a bad circuit board?