Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' Safari
Ottawa , Ontario
Furnace has flashing red light !!!

I do not have the proper furnace manual . The furnace on my 16ft Bambi is the small 12000 BTU model 8012-II . Yesterday it seemed to work fine after I charged the battery (no shore power in the storage yard) but I noticed when I turned it down and it went off there was a flashing red light coming from behind a small panel . With the grill off there is a reset/off switch that does not stop the light flashing in either posn.
Today I could not get the furnace to go on but the light kept flashing until I disconnected the battery. There is gas because the range works .
Ideas ?
Peter Housto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Suburban or Atwood RV Heater?

SUBURBAN MANUAL LINK
http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Subur...ice_Manual.pdf

ATWOOD
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

Gas? If notenough then it won't light without pressure. Stove may light but not as sensitive as the heater to low pressure.

Power? Needs enough voltage and will check - battery low or not on shore power then it will lockout until reset.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' Safari
Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks again Clancy . That Atwood manual is what I need. Ithink you may have the answer : Batt or Propane is low . Will check tomorrow. I still can't figure the flashing red LED . It could be a warning that either is low ? Like I said , when the heater was working the light flashed whether it was on or off .
Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have had this happen with our furnace, usually when it has not been used in a while. Try turning your furnace off at the thermostat. Then turn the entire thermostat off with the switch on the bottom of the thermostat. Toggle or push the reset switch on the furnace. Wait a few minutes. Turn the thermostat back on. Try to start the furnace again by setting the thermostat 5 or 10 degrees above the current ambient temp. First the blower will come on then the burner it should try to start ...you'll hear a click-click-click as it tries to start...if it fails it will pause and try again in a minute or so...if it is not successful in starting in 3 attempts, it will stop and shut down and the red light will start flashing.

If you have no success at getting it to start, aside form simply being tempermental, it could be any number of things...a stuck sail switch, low gas pressure or low battery...see what the manual offers in the way of trouble shooting...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
As others mentioned, low pressure will prevent the furnace from lighting. If you are camping at higher altitudes (in the mountains) and/or in sub-freezing weather, your propane tanks lose pressure as the propane is consumed. A few winters ago, we had to switch to a full tank when the first tank was still almost half full, because the pressure was insufficient for the furnace to light consistently and stay lit. Try switching to the second tank (if it's full); and see if this helps.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' Safari
Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks to you all . Today the kind folks at Atwood emailed me the proper manual and I read that the flashing red light means: (1) limit switch/airflow problems or (2) Flame sense fault or (3) ignition lockout fault . I am charging the batt. right now and have a new fresh filled gas bottle in place. I am sure it will work .
Old 12-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Drum roll please..............
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The OP never responded, but I had the same problem today with my Atwood furnace, and thanks to the forums I found this thread as the first result on Google for 'Atwood furnace red light'. Sure enough, I switched to a full LP tank, reset the furnace, and I have heat again. Just shows what an awesome resource this forum continues to be, even for stuff that was answered years ago! Thanks!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote