Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Furnace Failure

Happy Easter,
Our furnace fired up, then quit this am. Signal from thermostat controller seems to be reaching the furnace, I hear a solenoid click. Adequate gas at stove and water heater. Appreciate any troubleshooting suggestions. 47 deg in Hot Springs Arkansas last night.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Check for fault code light if equipped. Open outer furnace door and inner door. See control panel, a small light flashing? I think codes are on door.

Does it start a run cycle and then stops after a minute or so?

Details
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Check for fault code light if equipped. Open outer furnace door and inner door. See control panel, a small light flashing? I think codes are on door.

Does it start a run cycle and then stops after a minute or so?

Details

No flashing light. Just a click upon signal from thermostat.
The last run cycle, this morning, did stop prematurely.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
So you hear a click but the fan doesn't start? If so, sounds like blower motor or, if you are lucky, bad ground. Check all wires that terminate to the frame of the furnace. Remove screw/nut/spade connector, clean up, and re-install.

On some models the ON/OFF switch inside the furnace accessible from the outside is also a circuit breaker. Turn it off and back on again. Also, look for a fuse inside. On the models I looked at the thermostat sends 12V to the furnace which turns on the relay but if the CB is tripped nothing else happens.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
So you hear a click but the fan doesn't start? If so, sounds like blower motor or, if you are lucky, bad ground. Check all wires that terminate to the frame of the furnace. Remove screw/nut/spade connector, clean up, and re-install.

On some models the ON/OFF switch inside the furnace accessible from the outside is also a circuit breaker. Turn it off and back on again. Also, look for a fuse inside. On the models I looked at the thermostat sends 12V to the furnace which turns on the relay but if the CB is tripped nothing else happens.

Al

Thanks, AI;
I had tried the reset switch inside the furnace. After removing and reconnecting all spades, it did fire off, but then quit after a few minutes. Did same again. I’ll have to get more deeply into this when we get home.

Thankfully, I carry a ‘Little Buddy’ propane heater for situations such as this.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
Old 04-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Ck for a mud-dauber nest in the exhaust tube...AMHIK🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We had furnace problem this year. Had a mobile RV service come. He pulled the furnace, cleaned the sticks and spider webs out, hooked the furnace up to his propane tank and 12 volts in his service truck and it ran fine. He put it back in the trailer and it did not run. He checked the gas pressure and flow. There was not enough gas flow for the furnace even though the stove and WH seemed to run fine. He checked the gas regulator and it was good. What he finally found was an internal collapse in a rubber gas line up at the front of the trailer. Changed that and put in a new regulator and the furnace has been running fine ever since.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote