Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Frozen gas valve

Anyone ever have a gas valve that won't open? I disconnected my LP tanks to weigh them. One about empty, so I took it to be filled. The other tanks is full. For some stupid reason, I tried to open the full one while it was disconnected. The knob wouldn't turn. I just figured it was a safety system (these tanks have the new style valves and knobs), and that when I screwed on the gas line, it would be okay. It wasn't. When I had the other tank filled, I asked them about the stuck valve I had. I was told to turn it harder. I did, with channel lock pliers, and the knob broke. So....can I get a replacement knob? I looked online, but can't find anything. Can I release some interior binding pressure by turning the little screw on the side of the tank valve, with the tank hooked up?
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I would bring the tank to a propane dealer. I'm thinking the valve seized, and will need to be replaced.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
reo
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
satellite beach , Florida
large gas dealers should have repair kits for most valves. Depending upon the age and condition of your tank you might think new tank. As a foot note, sometimes with the new safety valves if your tank was disconnected from the system, your valve might have been in the open position already and not leaking gas due to the safety valve doing it's job. You could have been trying to force open an already open vave. Just a thought.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
You said that the tank was disconnected when you tried to open the valve. If the tank is disconnected, and you open the valve, no gas will come out.

Are you sure that the valve was not already open? Perhaps you could not turn the valve in a counter clockwise direction because it was already open.

Did you try to close the valve?
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Maybe the valve is open. Try to close it first...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Robert

Newer valves are equipped with two safety features that prevent gas from flowing:
1) The connecter is designed so that gas will not flow unless the hose is screwed on
2) There is an excess flow valve that latches shut whenever the flow of gas exceeds a reasonable rate, generally 100,000 btu/h or so.

The excess flow valve is reset by turning the valve handwheel to the "shut" position then opening it again. Sometimes the excess flow valve will shut and latch if the handwheel is turned to the "open" position too quickly.

I would imagine that on your valve the excess flow mechanism is latched shut, which is why you can't get gas to flow even with the handwheel open. You probably broke the handwheel by forcing it to turn when the valve was already open.

My suggestion is to take the tank to a reputable dealer and have them fix it.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Thanks, Jammer. It must be that the excess flow valve is latched, and won't release. The valve was closed to start, and will not turn in either direction. I had only tried to crack it open, but that must have been enough to trip it. I'll take it to the LP dealer for repair, and I'll report what happens.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote