Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Fridge boon docking duration time question.

OK chaps, I am going to a motor racing meeting later this year. I do not want to run my generators other than to recharge the batteries every day or so.
My question is does anyone know how long the fridge freezer will operate for with two full tanks of propane. It is a 25 foot late model, so the two door fridge freezer.
I will fire it up on Tuesday and return on Sunday. So a five and a half day trip.
Thanks you in advance for your help.
Cheers,
James.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If it is just the refer running on propane it will run for weeks not days. Hot water, cooking and furnace are the big consumers.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you're running just the fridge and occasionally the water heater on propane (no furnace usage, in other words) your propane should last for several weeks.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Great news, thanks for the help. I put an electrical water heating element into the hot water tank the other week, so I will use my generator to heat the water up. I have a marine stove that I converted to run on kerosene, I use that either inside or outside, way cheaper to run than propane and more fun to cook with.
Was looking into one of the Green Egg grills yesterday, even the smallest table top unit is $500, so that idea soon got flushed away.
Anyhow thank you both for the info.
Cheers,
James.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Frridge

I did this last fall and had no problem, ran generators for an hour or so every day. Even with some cooking, no furnace, I think the gas would last a month.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Irrigon , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryglarson View Post
I did this last fall and had no problem, ran generators for an hour or so every day. Even with some cooking, no furnace, I think the gas would last a month.
Yes what he said.
FunyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Should be no problem by a long shot. I've had my FC 19 going on a year now and have taken it out at least once a month for two day at a time. The fridge runs on propane when driving but my propane has been used mostly for hot water, occasional burner and Q-grill and a for the furnace on a few nights. I can't seem to run out of propane. My tank hasn't even switched over to the other tank yet, and I want it to.
ATownTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You won't run out of propane, watch your batteries, they control everything...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Track days

I regularly take my rig to SCCA road racing events where I crew. I generally use just one 30lb tank of propane per year, so no worries there. As others have said, you are set for weeks, not days.

I will often plug the generator into a dedicated three stage AGM battery charger to top off the batteries, rather than use the on-board converter.

I converted my Weber Q grill low pressure (removed the regulator), so it uses the on-board propane tanks too via the quick connect.

With the inverter, I (and you) can run everything but AC and the microwave on the battery bank. When needed my Yamaha 2400iscs can power everything.

I'll be at Indy for the runnoffs, but it looks like we won't be able to have our campers in the infield.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
We had our trailer stored while visiting our son several years ago. Through unexpected circumstances it was stored for longer than expected (so we left it running). A new 30 lb. tank lasted about four weeks in temperatures averaging about 70 degrees during the day and cool at night.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #11
bambi-Lily

2016 19' International
encinitas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
Great news, thanks for the help. I put an electrical water heating element into the hot water tank the other week, so I will use my generator to heat the water up. I have a marine stove that I converted to run on kerosene, I use that either inside or outside, way cheaper to run than propane and more fun to cook with.
Was looking into one of the Green Egg grills yesterday, even the smallest table top unit is $500, so that idea soon got flushed away.
Anyhow thank you both for the info.
Cheers,
James.
Green egg grills are the best but the weight is the issue. The cost is worth the reward otherwise
pegjust is offline   Reply With Quote