Old 08-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
free 40 lb 1997 worthington horizontal tanks

I don't suppose anyone wants these two horizontal worthington aluminum 40 lb tanks...and would be willing to pick up in Canada? They are in London Ontario (~2 hrs from either detroit or buffalo).

These tanks must be "recertified" but they are exempt from the OPD requirement in the US b/c they were mf'd before October 1998. They are not usable in Canada (it is not legal to fill them here, and they cannot be recertified here). I can't use them. I feel bad about taking them to the scrap yard. THey are working just fine, but I am not going to sell them b/c I suppose it's possible they won't pass the recert.

Is there anyone in the US who would like them? FREE!

Old 08-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Since we travel to the US a lot, I'll take them and find a good home for them. We'll be coming your way on Saturday. PM me with your address.
Doug

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
great! will do.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
Since we travel to the US a lot, I'll take them and find a good home for them. We'll be coming your way on Saturday. PM me with your address.
Doug
If you are comming to AZ area I sure would like some extras ones for my Squarestream.
The one in FL went to the scrap pile.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Currently Looking...
White Pigeon , Michigan
Hi Redstart & Stacksman; This could work. I have a limited and could use them. Have a son in Port Huron who would meet you and pick themup for me. I'll cover any expense that's involved Plus whatever? OK Bud J [Airhouse}
Old 08-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhouse View Post
Hi Redstart & Stacksman; This could work. I have a limited and could use them. Have a son in Port Huron who would meet you and pick themup for me. I'll cover any expense that's involved Plus whatever? OK Bud J [Airhouse}
We'll be coming through Port Huron near the end of September. Send me a PM and I'll let you know when it's for sure and when I get them
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Currently Looking...
White Pigeon , Michigan
Both of you ---- Thanks abunch, That would work GREAT!!! Doug, I'll PM again with Phone and Email info. OK Thanks again. bud
Old 08-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
They are not usable in Canada (it is not legal to fill them here, and they cannot be recertified here).
Then what did you do? Bought two new ones? Where did you get them?

André Doré
Mont-Laurier, QC
Old 08-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Is the horizontal tank restriction just in eastern Canada???

We have 40 lb horizontal tanks on our 96 34' - have never had a problem filling these tanks in BC (lower mainland i.e. the left coast of Canada) Just had one filled here two days ago by a commercial propane vendor.

On the other hand, we've had one H*!! of a time getting these 40 lb horizontal tanks filled in the states. We even got the "official" note from Airstream why these tanks are exempt. When we travel in the lower 48, we look for propane vendors that will fill anything.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #10
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking Jimmini....

sorry about that....i was able to buy new ones with new setups...for about 300...not bad..actually used our trailer for the past couple of weekends in the orlando area and my wife and i love it...all that work and we are very happy with a trailer that works as we want it to...

lee

The one in FL went to the scrap pile.[/quote]

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by adore View Post
Then what did you do? Bought two new ones? Where did you get them?

André Doré
Mont-Laurier, QC
Yes I bought two new steel ones, from Dowler Karn Propane in St Thomas. I bought 30 lb horizontal steel tanks. You can probably find a propane dealer in QC who will get them for you. There is a brace inside the tank mount that you can move forward to fit the 30 lb tanks. The 30 lb steel tanks are the same diameter as the 40 lb tanks.

If you want to buy new horizontal aluminum tanks that have the OPD valves you can try www.westmarine.ca as they supply worthington tanks. From discussion on another thread though, you will probably get a better price buying these in the US.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
We have 40 lb horizontal tanks on our 96 34' - have never had a problem filling these tanks in BC (lower mainland i.e. the left coast of Canada) Just had one filled here two days ago by a commercial propane vendor.

On the other hand, we've had one H*!! of a time getting these 40 lb horizontal tanks filled in the states. We even got the "official" note from Airstream why these tanks are exempt. When we travel in the lower 48, we look for propane vendors that will fill anything.
Very interesting! The OPD requirement is for all of Canada (actually it is international) but the US has an exemption for the horizontal tanks mf'd before Oct 1998. I have an email from the propane association of Canada that explains it, i could send it to you or post here if interested (it's long). I think the dealer you are getting it filled at is either unaware or is looking the other way - you can usually find one but we don't want to get stuck if we can't.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Your quick.Did not think you would catch me begging.

Glad to see that you are out and about with the trailer at last and having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefields View Post
sorry about that....i was able to buy new ones with new setups...for about 300...not bad..actually used our trailer for the past couple of weekends in the orlando area and my wife and i love it...all that work and we are very happy with a trailer that works as we want it to...

lee

The one in FL went to the scrap pile.
[/quot
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
Yes I bought two new steel ones, from Dowler Karn Propane in St Thomas. I bought 30 lb horizontal steel tanks. You can probably find a propane dealer in QC who will get them for you. There is a brace inside the tank mount that you can move forward to fit the 30 lb tanks. The 30 lb steel tanks are the same diameter as the 40 lb tanks.

If you want to buy new horizontal aluminum tanks that have the OPD valves you can try www.westmarine.ca as they supply worthington tanks. From discussion on another thread though, you will probably get a better price buying these in the US.
Here is the best deal I have seen on new aluminum tanks - Canadians, go to the US and get them here:
Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!