Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #1

1973 31' Excella 500
Incline Village , Nevada
Flexible tubing replacement

Greetings all,
Kinda new to AS, in the process of getting ready for a foray to Burning Man, I was checking the LP lines for leaks and found one in the flex tubing from the regulator to the belly lines. My quest is now to find a replacement tubing and fittings for our '72 Excella 31'. I've tried Home Despot, local propane outlets and construction retailers, no joy so far, the current models are either a touch too big or too small. any ideas for solutions would be appreciated. Thanks - Joe
Tahoe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Tahoe Joe,

I'm not sure what the tube looks like, but I would try the local trailer supply shop. Camping World would be good. You could search online at many sites. This should not be a difficult part to get.

Post a picture and you'll get a deluge of responses.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
TJ,

It is a pipe fitting for the lines. And if you have metal flex line replace it with a rubber flex line.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-18-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Joe
Greetings all,
Kinda new to AS, in the process of getting ready for a foray to Burning Man, I was checking the LP lines for leaks and found one in the flex tubing from the regulator to the belly lines. My quest is now to find a replacement tubing and fittings for our '72 Excella 31'. I've tried Home Despot, local propane outlets and construction retailers, no joy so far, the current models are either a touch too big or too small. any ideas for solutions would be appreciated. Thanks - Joe
Joe,

The standard now is a low pressure LP HOSE with flair fittings in each end...
These are generally 1/2" ID with a 1/2" female flair on either end. They should be available from a Propane dealer,gas barbeque grill supplier, or Camping World. If the flairs are different sizes, you can join them together with the appropriate size brass flair unions from any well stocked hardware store, Lowes or HD. Be sure that you DO NOT USE any thread tape or thread sealant on the threads as the threads must be clean to allow the flaors to mate and seal properly.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Lew, just replaced my flex lines - could not get them to seal without two turns of tape (stripped in half length wise) of gas line tape on the lower edge of the threads. Should I replace the male fittings...? No leaks now.... They were leaking before at the crimp/tube connection - not around the fitting. Thanks!
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Lew, just replaced my flex lines - could not get them to seal without two turns of tape (stripped in half length wise) of gas line tape on the lower edge of the threads. Should I replace the male fittings...? No leaks now.... They were leaking before at the crimp/tube connection - not around the fitting. Thanks!
Definitely not to code and I wouldn't trust a connection like this. My guess is that the flairs have been distorted by over-tightening and are not sealing properly. Best to replace BOTH ends and lose the tape. When you do tighten them, HAND TIGHTEN the flairs and then wrench tight only 2 flats on the nut. Anything more will distort the flair. Be sure to use a back-up wrench!
Old 09-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Thread tape

I was always taught not to use teflon tape for gas fittings, the reason does make sense, as you tighten the fitting you tend to cut the tape, small pieces can travel thru the lines and plug up orfices.

ZoolZool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Definitely not to code and I wouldn't trust a connection like this. My guess is that the flairs have been distorted by over-tightening and are not sealing properly. Best to replace BOTH ends and lose the tape. When you do tighten them, HAND TIGHTEN the flairs and then wrench tight only 2 flats on the nut. Anything more will distort the flair. Be sure to use a back-up wrench!
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom
I was always taught not to use teflon tape for gas fittings, the reason does make sense, as you tighten the fitting you tend to cut the tape, small pieces can travel thru the lines and plug up orfices.

ZoolZool
Zoom,

The reason for not using tape on a flair fitting is one of sealing. Any tape on the threads will prevent the flair surfaces from mating properly and forming the correct, tight seal. The tape will not enter the system on a regular pipe thread if properly applied. I repeat....NO TEFLON TAPE ON FLAIR FITTINGS!!! Or any other type of pipe dope either!!!