Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 05:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Flexible LGP line to connect to fridge

Hey group. I just purchased an Argosy MH that did not come with a fridge. I picked up a nice Dometic until and will be installing it shortly. My LPG hardline pokes up through the subfloor and needs to connect to the back of the fridge. There is no way for a 'hardline to hardline' connection obviously. Can someone tell me what kind of flex line I need to adapt these? Is this a standard home depot flexible gas line connect hose?
Sorry for the newbie question. I'm sure this is a simple thing.

Thanks,
Ben
Austin, TX
bpg_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
My fridge had a hard copper line connected where it enters the trailer and to the back of the fridge with flare fittings. It was bent to line up with the fridge fitting. When swapping fridges I had to cut, rebend and reflare the end.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Thanks, much appreciated. So, is the correct method to use all hardline fittings?
Apparently I need to hard-mount the fridge, then rework the LPG lines together?
Old 06-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Slight correction. I believe my LP line is "soft" copper but still not a flex line.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The flex lines used for residential purposes are not suitable for RV use. They will not withstand the over the road vibration. Copper tubing is the best solution.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
P.O. added a propane wall lamp to my trailer using residential flex line. I removed it.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
Hey group. I just purchased an Argosy MH that did not come with a fridge. I picked up a nice Dometic until and will be installing it shortly. My LPG hardline pokes up through the subfloor and needs to connect to the back of the fridge. There is no way for a 'hardline to hardline' connection obviously. Can someone tell me what kind of flex line I need to adapt these? Is this a standard home depot flexible gas line connect hose?
Sorry for the newbie question. I'm sure this is a simple thing.

Thanks,
Ben
Austin, TX
Ben,

All LPG connections should be rubber flex from outside of trailer to inside appliance, Refer, Water heater, Stove, Heater, etc.

Never use solid copper line directly into the appliance! Ever!!!

A local propane dealer in your area will have what you need. Camping World and other RV stores carry these lines. The box store will have copper line, brass fittings, tubing cutter and flare tool if you need them.

Please, research this on the internet! Be safe out there!!

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Great info.
So.. since I'm not up to speed on gas lines.. Home depot does sell rolls of 3/8" copper tubing.

3/8 in. ID x 10 ft. Copper Type L Soft Coil (1/2 in. OD)-PCLE-375L010 - The Home Depot

This look like the right stuff with appropriate fittings?
Thanks again, hopefully I'm almost done with the rookie questions.

Note: Batman, your post came up at the same time as mine. So, are you telling me I need to install a rubber line from my hardline to the back of my fridge? Not a soft copper line? I'm getting confused here. Will certainly do some more internet reserach before purchasing anything.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
flexible copper

Just walked out to my boss's (not currently running) airstream and took this photo. Looks like he has the soft copper connection from the hardline underneath to his fridge. This is what I thought I was trying to duplicate from the 1st two posters comments.
Is there a consensus between this method and a flexible rubber line?
This will be inside the camper, so it would be bad if it ever leaked. I'd assume that's why people are using a copper line here. ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flexible copper.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	240249  
Old 06-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
Great info.
So.. since I'm not up to speed on gas lines.. Home depot does sell rolls of 3/8" copper tubing.

3/8 in. ID x 10 ft. Copper Type L Soft Coil (1/2 in. OD)-PCLE-375L010 - The Home Depot

This look like the right stuff with appropriate fittings?
Thanks again, hopefully I'm almost done with the rookie questions.

Note: Batman, your post came up at the same time as mine. So, are you telling me I need to install a rubber line from my hardline to the back of my fridge? Not a soft copper line? I'm getting confused here. Will certainly do some more internet research before purchasing anything.

Sorry Ben,
It can be confusing with so much different input. You must temper your judgement with facts. That is why I urged you to do some more research on the subject. Don't listen to me, just the facts.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Sorry Ben,
It can be confusing with so much different input. You must temper your judgement with facts. That is why I urged you to do some more research on the subject. Don't listen to me, just the facts.

-Dennis
So what are the facts ? Hard line or rubber flex ? I currently have a new refrigerator to install and now I'm confused with the different views stated here maybe a propane tech will chime in with the correct way it should be done ?
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
All Airstreams built forever it seems have used copper lines to the appliances, including those built today at the factory. Post #7 which states to never, ever use copper directly to the appliance is simply wrong. Sorry for being blunt but the information is not correct.

Do not use any of the flex lines that are available at places like Home Depot or Lowe's as they are not made to stand up to the constant jiggling in an RV and are not approved for RV use.

A rubber flex line could be used but are hard to find and are subject to more wear and deterioration than copper.

Copper, with proper flare fittings is the standard way to connect propane appliances to the system. If you are not familiar with how to bend and flare copper, I would suggest having a professional do the job for you.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
I did the bending and flaring on mine with no trouble, though the proper tools are required.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I would never use flexible stove or dryer connectors in my rv. They will crack over time and the propane, being heavier than air, could collect under the floor above the belly pan. Only use soft copper. You can drop down to 1/4" if you need to make tighter bends. The 1/4" copper is much larger than the orifice for the fridge or hot water tank. I hope the picture of the water tank I just installed uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_1375.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	240250  
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Thanks everyone for the great info. I've got a commercial A/C buddy who I can get to bend and flair the sections for me. I'm a big DIY'er, but he's got the tools.. Sounds like a simple enough job. Just have to head out to the Moho tonight and figure out what fittings are required.
It would be nice if our parts suppliers carried a copper Loop with fittings. Seems pretty standard now that I've looked at a few pictures.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Notice the wide loop of soft copper in the photograph. That is the way my 2006 Airstream came from the factory. That loop allows for some flexibility betweem the trailer and the refrigerator. I added several loops of copper on my garage air compressor to prevent vibration damage.
dalemonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Flexible copper tubing that you find I the coil is the stuff you want. As mentioned, leave an extra loop going to the fridge, gives flexibility in making the connection and forabsorbing vibration. Flare fittings. Normal is 3/8" to the appliances.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Idroba is correct. My 67 has soft copper flared connections made at the factory originally and they are still good. 10 years ago, I had a new HW heater installed by Richard's RV who used soft copper flared fittings and that I think is the only way to go. If you are worried about stiffness of the connection putting stress on the appliance, put a loop or dip in the line to provide a little flexibility. The suggestion to move down to 1/4" soft copper couldl be the way to go but I wouldn't go smaller than the connection provided on the appliance. The only flex line on my trailer is from the LP regulator at the tanks to the 1/2" supply line installed down the center line of the trailer to which each 3/8" supply to appliances is attached.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Use copper direct with flare fittings just like the factory installations....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote