Eric

Old 03-23-2004, 12:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Re: Fischer Regulators

Quote:
Originally posted by 87MH
Fischer is a top of the line regulator, with proper maintenance it should last the life of the trailer....
Other than checking for mud dobber nests at vent holes, what is proper maintenance for a regulator?

Old 03-23-2004, 12:23 PM   #17
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Re: Replacement costs

Quote:
Originally posted by Roundhead
Re-fill 30-pound tank: $17
Re-test for pressure soundness: $5.
Ugh! That wasn't real cheap! We got a visual recheck of tanks for free in Taos (new date marked with "E," good for five more years). And we refill empty 30-pounders for under $12! It's a good idea to shop around when it comes to anything involving propane!!

Lynn
Old 03-23-2004, 03:21 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Chas, Where did you get a Fischer 966 for $75.00 bucks.? The propane dealer in Georgetown DE wants $150.00!! for a 966.
Dick
Old 03-23-2004, 05:22 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Well we have heard from alot of folks with slightly different advice concerning rebuilding. Has anyone contacted the horse's mouth?....Fischer Co.?

Absent their advice I would opt for the safety of replace. But I can wait.

I will try to make contact. and report back.

Now speaking of LPG what exactly does this do and is this an Airstream stock item or a owner add-on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as lpg.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	5374  
Old 03-23-2004, 08:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Fisher Maintenance

"Other than checking for mud dobber nests at vent holes, what is proper maintenance for a regulator?"

I can speak from first hand experience that any maintenance you do to a Fischer will be confined to replacing the diaphragm element (if so equipped), the nozzel and seat, (or needle and seat), and the spring, if exposed to extremely nasty gas - all scenarios are highly unlikely in a Propane environment. Take care of any exterior corrossion (again, unlikely), and the Fischer should perform as designed. Just don't screw down all the way on the pressure regulator adjustment, that will cut the seat, and it will be tear down and rebuild time.

Compare the Fisher to a Marshall or other "pressed metal" cheapie. Fisher, like Airstream, is a quality built American product designed to last. Not cheap, but the best buy in the long run. The rest, besides Fischer, as far as my knowledge goes, are not maintainable....strictly disposable.

I'll take a properly rebuilt Fisher any day over a new pot cast SOB.

Has anyone ever had to replace a Fisher because it quit working?

If anyone has any question about this advice, contact anyone associated with offshore oil and gas production. Fishers are out there years at a time, working 24/7, in argueably the most severe salt water/air environment you could find, and internally regulating acidic and wet gas on top of the exterior environmental stresses. About the only time they need repair offshore is when they are asked to perform in pressure and volume ranges they were not designed for, even then it's not much of a chore to change the seat, diaphragm and spring.

That having been said, Inland Andy is quite correct about being careful with the rebuild. My industrial experience has taught me to rebuild, if it can be brought to "as new" for 50% of the purchase price, if not, replace it. But watch out for what it is replaced with. Compare a Fischer with an SOB prior to making a final decision, the materials, workmanship, and finish convey unsurpassed reliability.

Note that I have absolutely no connection with either Fischer or J.H. Carter, other than having used them on each and every Offshore Production Platform I have been associated with the past 30 years.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 08:11 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Dennis is John Carter a company or an individual?
Do you have an address?

Does he do rebuilds himself or just sell kits?
Any idea of price of a complete go thru by Carter?

From your posts I am assuming that Fischer does not rebuild themselves. Do you know that to be correct?
Thanks
jaco
Old 03-24-2004, 10:43 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

UPDATE

1st I have found that the regulators were made by Fisher not Fischer Co. (There is a Fischer Regulator Co in England to make searching abit more hazardous)
John Carter is a large industrial supplier not an individual.
Did not call them.
Found Fisher web site and called their Houston contact. Was sent upline to their Dallas distributor. (Both sales oriented said that for the price why repair...replace).
Knowing only that mine is a Type 966 is not enough info. There are sub-varieties of 966's. (As so often the case the AS Service Manual is little or no help.) Visually searched my regulator for additional ID #s...there are none!

Consensus at the distributor (without seeing mine) is that I have a 966/150. (200,000 or so BTU capacity). List Price $154.
None in stock. 71 on back order. Out of production deemed Obsolete as of 12-2003. Possibly some on dealer shelves around world.
The distributor's replacement suggestion-R962-21 (400600BTU) List $154.

Not sure how important the exact model replacement or the BTU capacity is ? Any thoughts?
Old 03-24-2004, 11:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Fisher 966 LPG regulator

Jayco -

I've PM'ed you with availability.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
We have the 966 Fisher regulator that Airstream used for years.

Andy
Old 03-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I had to replace the Fisher regulator on my '72 last year. My old Fisher had started to leak continuously a small amount through the vent when there were no gas appliances drawing actively.
I went to the local gas company and they ordered a replacement that was identical right down to the gray color. I'm at work right now, so I cannot check a part number for you, but I made sure that the sizes of the fittings were correct match to the pigtails and the supply line--that seemed to be the only variables to deal with. The new Fisher looks great and works well. It mounted right back into the stock holes in the gas bottle hold down bracket. It appears very durable compared to the ones you commonly find in an RV store. It's a gray color that matches the Airstream, too!
I remember paying around $96 for it.
-Dallas
Old 03-27-2004, 01:57 AM   #26
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but i'll go ahead and ask anyway.

I dont have much experience with LP and LP equipment. My tanks, hoses and the regulator are long overdue for an upgrade. My question is this...

Beneath the LP bottles, where the flexible hose joins to the metal piping that carries the LP into the trailer to the various appliances that use LP is a nut that joins the flex hose to the metal piping.

Can i just unscrew the flexible hose at that point and take the whole works, tanks, regulator and hoses to a Gas supply store to get them upgraded? I wont cause any oxygen to get into the lines?

It would suck to have to drag the whole trailer down to the Gas supply store.

Thanks for any info.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally posted by Van
Can i just unscrew the flexible hose at that point and take the whole works, tanks, regulator and hoses to a Gas supply store to get them upgraded? I wont cause any oxygen to get into the lines?
Van,

I see nothing wrong with your plan. But, keep in mind that once the system is opened by you or anyone, air will get in the lines. It does not hurt anything, but will need to be purged before all your appliances work consistently.

You do want to keep dirt & bugs from entering the line, so when you disconnect the whole works, be sure and appropriately cover any openings.

When you reconnect, bear in mind there will be some air in the system. If you still light pilot lights like I do, light the pilot light on the appliance furthest away from the tank (after verifying no leaks with soapy water), probably the water heater. It may take a few efforts. Then work your way up to the appliance closest to the tanks.

Good luck,
Tom