Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I just finished a few days of 'Southern Cold Weather Camping'...20's at night with no hookups.

To me the trick is a warm bed. I can warm up the trailer with a portable heater during the day. At night, a thermal mattress and some blankets get me by. I use the on board fresh water tank, it's above the floor.

Moisture control is the biggest issue here, even without any help our humidity is crazy high. Add some cooking, regular breathing by me (I'd like to continue thank you very much) and other forms of converting fuel into heat and water and things get pretty sticky. I actually had condensation on my Cherry hardwood interior.

After 3 days, my ice chest was still frozen solid, just like the eggs in my Dometic fridge...grrrrr
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We just returned from a trip where we spent 9 nights in temps as low as +7F.
No problems with condensation. Used electric space heaters and kept 1 roof vent opened about 3/4". Always used one vent fan when cooking or bathing to exhaust the humidity. The vent over the stove is not enough when cooking.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #23

2008 23' International CCD
Tampa , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1388060372.815334.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	202348

Here's my light setup. Also using more RV antifreeze. I can tell you all, one gallon split between gray and black water is not enough if you using onboard facilities. So we're trying all tonight ... furnace, the light and a gallon in each tank. I'll let you all noon soon.

Thank you all! Great stuff here!!
Boxfotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Boxfotos, if something is frozen it likely is the valve itself. Run the furnace, redirect your heat lamp to the valve area, be patient, don't pull hard on the valve handle. The furnace must be run to protect anything under the foor, including the tanks.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #25

2008 23' International CCD
Tampa , Florida
Thanks. Just think the manuals should say, "while on the road in subfreezing weather, ONLY run the furnace (not the heat pump) to keep your tanks from freezing."

How hard would that be? :0)
Boxfotos is offline   Reply With Quote